Which riding mower for 3 grand?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 5.0 Hatch, Jan 3, 2005.

1. 5.0 Hatch

5.0 Hatch LawnSite Member
    from LA

2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

If you are only a homeowner, and not using it for day to day working for a living cutting with it, you should be fine. The engine should be able to take 3 acres every week, or every other week. I'm not sure you'd find a new commercial grade mower with a 52" deck for under 3K.

3. 5.0 Hatch

5.0 Hatch LawnSite Member
    from LA

Thats what I was thinking since I am only a homeowner. Would you even consider there ZTR?

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

no I would not consider a ztr. one thing that I might consider is a 52" belt drive walk behind with a sulky (a sulky is a riding atachment to a walkbehind). the gravely pro G with pro steer controls is an exellent machine. I would highly recomend it.

the walk behinds at least deserve a look before you make your final purchase decision.

5. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

gravely has home owner ztr mowers for 2800-3500 with kaw or koler engines ,thats what i would get,you will get the job done quicker and it is rated for 3-5 acrs a week

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I think TC has the right idea. Now is a great time to get a left over or demo walk behind for cheap. Couple of years ago I snagged a 52 Lesco belt, 17 kaw electric start demo for $800. It only had 8 hours on it. Throw on a $140 proslide and you have a mechine that you are not walking, wil get the job done faster and will be usefull for many years.

Good Luck
    Rhett