Which riding mower to buy?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by yahtzee, Apr 7, 2006.

1. yahtzee

yahtzee LawnSite Member

Just cut my lawn today for the first time (just moved into this house in December) with my trusty push Honda caster-wheeled mower....Its the last time i push this yard. Went to Home Depot (have a 10% off coupon) and bought the top-end Toro for 1699 (LT500). I was tempted to buy the Cub Cadet but it was 300 more and i couldnt use the 10% coupon.....I dont mind paying more if the Cub Cadet is that much better but it was slightly more comfortable. I realize that both tractors are both made by MTD but there has to be other differences.
    PS- Im not buying a Deere as it would cost 3k+ to get a real one (not the ones in Home Depot or Lowes).

Suggestions? (please keep the suggestions between the Cub Cadet and the Toro - i have a fairly open yard, almost 3/4 of an acre and just want to spend more time landscaping)

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

It's kind of what you want. Most everyone on here has com mowers and you don't need one of those. We run all Cub Cadet mowers and love them!!!! Both that your talking about are good mowers and comes down to what's the most comfortable for you.

Welcome to lawnsite!!:waving:

3. yahtzee

yahtzee LawnSite Member

i am notorious for going overkill on purchases (usually top end of everything) but just cant see spending 4k on a com mower for such little yard....that, coupled with the fact that i may be putting pool in next year, makes it tough to swallow. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Actually, the Toro and Cub Cadet at Home Cheapo are both made by MTD. Assuming we are talking about the lawn tractor series. MTD makes that Toro, but Toro bought the warranty rights. So, Cub Cadet or Toro.. six of one, half a dozen of another.

6. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

get a simplicity=best cut , bar none.
    extremely dependable.
    forget a ztr-u will regret it.

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

everybody in my family has a simplicity. i just bought a new one, and it works great. hold up even under commercial use