1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which Root Feeder are You using?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Atlantic Lawn, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Does anyone know which feeder is the "best buy" ? Do you feed shrubs and trees using this method ? I see loads of info. from catalogs but not much user feedback. Thanks
  2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

check westheffer
  3. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

Lesco also has what your looking for.
  4. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

Rittenhouse also has rootfeeders
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have an very old Lesco deep root feeder that is still very good. I got it second hand 10 or more years ago. Only complained I have is goes to deep. I clamp a pair of visegrips on the rod to stop it at 6" to 10" depending on what type and how thick the mulch or stone are. I like to use for applying Merit to shrubs along with a little liquid fertilizer. Because of our sandy soil leaching problem I find granule Fertilizer work better on shrubs. However granular Merit is not labeled for shrubs. I feel that root injected Merit works better than folar, however I have no scientific proof of this.
  6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Looks like I'll take a trip up to lesco next week and see what they have to offer. We are in the coastal area here and we have a very sandy soil mixture.Last year's drought really took it's toll on shrubs and ground cover in this area. People are really considering feeding their shrubs. I think it might be a lttle late for many.How is nutrient uptake affected by drought like conditions any thoughts? Thanks again to all who replied and I hope the post helps others who are searching.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Atlantic Lawn

A good shot of 20-20-20 right now will help the spring flush and give you a good jump start. Sandy Loam has a better CEC than calium sandy pH 9 in my area. I would follow up with a good slow release granule. Just don't pound them to hard or you can burn the roots.

Hydrophobic soil occurrs more in clay than sandy loam but it wouldn't hurt to apply a good wetting agent to the surface. However value of wetting agents depends on a lot of facts that you have not given. From a sales stand point, sell it. It won't hurt.