1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which round baler???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Jan 25, 2008.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Looking for a round baler. i need one that makes 4' by 5 ' bales. i don't like new holland. does anyone have any input

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Have you seen the new ones that Cat is coming out with!:usflag:

3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

no, i wouldn't want one even if they made one

4. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard good things about the Deere. Case IH, Hesston, New Idea, and Vermeer make good ones also. I think the Case IH is a Hesston but would ave to dig into it and find out.

5. Fieldman12

I think the Cat (Challenger) baler is also a Hesston. Agco likes to use the Hesston stuff in many different colors with many different names. It gets confusing anymore.

6. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Krone Baler that we use to commercial bale. I would have to look on the monitor but I would guess that it has between 4000 to 5000 bales on it so far. The greatest thing about these balers is that it doesn't use belts like competitive balers do. It uses large chains to wrap the bales. We have been so impressed with this balers ability to quickly and neatly roll up bermuda, rice stuble, and soy bean culls.
    Krone Balers are not intented for Grandpa to roll up 100 bales a day. These are commercial balers that when used properly will finish a roll in around a minute. This machine is impressive. You will pay an additional 10-15k extra on the front end, but it is one bad dude.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Hesston is an Agco company...the same company that is making the Agco, White, and Massey Ferguson tractors.

Hesston has a good reputation for quality equipment. Claas is really starting to make a name for themselves here in the states too. Since you don't want a New Holland, your best bet would be Hesston or Claas. Hesston especially has a lot of dealer support, every Case dealer i have ever been at carries Hesston, Most Deere dealers do too and of course all Agco dealers do.

we run nothing but NH hay equipment and have never had a problem...if you are buying used i would really take another look at NH, they are a very durable and well built product, but if you are buying new then Hesston is probably your best option

8. Fieldman12

Yes, Class is very good balers. I have heard of Krone but have not seen very many around these parts so I cannot comment on them.

9. Fieldman12

I think New Holland has always been the king of hay equipment and at one time the Ford small tractors where great in my opinion. I been pretty happy with my New Holland tractor even though its not the old ford brand. I use to have a 4000 and dad had a 2N and a 6000.

10. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Vermeer and Deere around here.