Which RP do you use or prefer??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 14, 2014.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have always used the Febco 825Y as my RP of choice. Simple internal components, easy to replace them if they break inside. But the problem i have is that lower chamber for the #2 check valve. Unless it gets opened up, it holds water. I had one customer shut down and drain the system properly last October. When I showed up to blow it out mid-October, it had checked at the #2 chamber. He was not happy, as he drained it like we told him to. We don't tell them to open that chamber, or loosen the bolts on the front plate, even though that is what I do when draining it. I am leaning towards the Febco 860as it doesn't have that chamber that can hold water. I used a couple last year and they seem fine, but I still prefer how easy the internal components are on the 825. Which do you use, and why?

2. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've installed a couple of those. Getting replacement parts are a pain in the azz. I have the inlet ball valve on order from Ewing, and it's been 3 weeks. Tough to get replacement parts for anything other than the 825, unless maybe from a plumbing supply shop. The plumbing suppliers tend to stick their nose in the air to us.

4. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

That's crazy. 3 weeks to get a ball valve. Every supply house in my area keeps parts and complete assemblies in stock. But we are an RP only market. Might make a difference.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

825y , but when they fail I replace em with a double check.

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Dana,

Try ordering from Bavco or American Backflow Supply. Either one can probably get you the parts in under a week.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that you might have to go outside the normal chain of supply, if parts are slow to come.

I started in using the 825Y when the codes changed, and the DCVA lost its approval. It is easy to work on, and with stable coastal temperatures, there is never a need for any customer to fiddle with it, after the winterizing.

There are two models that might work for customer involvement with an RPZ. First is the Watts 009, with its inline check cartridges, and relief section that drains without any disassembly.

Second is a Conbraco 40-200, which can also be drained without disassembly, because one of the testcocks is located on the relief valve cover, allowing it to drain the relief section.

Ooops. The Conbraco 40-200 is being superseded by the 4A-200, with cartridge internals and no relief testcock.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Boots is Conbraco and appolo the same company?

9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

You're replacing RP's with Double Checks? :confused:

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, they are. I was using Apollo ball valves 30 years ago, but not their backflow preventers. They wound up owning the Watts/Rainbird PVB tooling, and produced more of them, after Watts moved on to their current models.