Which runs better/stronger Kohler or Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman52, Apr 15, 2004.

1. mowerman52

mowerman52 LawnSite Member

I have Kawasaki on my mowers but my boss is having a 15 hp Kohler put on his mower. Have not had a chance to run it or see how it does.

Just wondering what your experiences with these engines are...

2. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Kawis are all we run right now seems they run fine and strong. Only thing i have problems with on ours is the pull cord constantly breaks. Anyone else have these problems?

3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a good name brand cord and wind it yourself. Mine broke, had a dealer redo it and it broke faster then the first. i redid it myself 2 years ago and still going strong.

4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Oh ya. I break my pull cord twice a season.

I run both Kawasaki, and Kohler. Iv had more problems with the Kawasaki then the Kohler. Iv had to replace two coils. The fuel pump is way out front and I broke it off ones. But on the positive side it runs strong, and I run it hard too.

I had a 15 horse Kolher on my Bobcat 48 and I beat the snot out of it. When I sold it it didn't burn any oil, and it ran strong.

5. g overbey

g overbey LawnSite Member

I run all Kohlers, 2 15hp 1 25hp no trouble at all. I originally ran all kaw's, 1 23hp lc and a 14hp had no trouble either. I think the secret is maintenance.

6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Oh yeah. Too far to push to the trailer, no tools on me but a 1/2" open-end and a nickle and a penny to take up the slack.......it worked though.

Put alot better cord in mine, soon after.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 kawasaki's and 2 kohlers the. The single cyclinder kohler seems to not have the torgue of the twin kawasaki of the same hp. /i just got the 20 hp kohler yesterday and I put 8 hours on the meter today and running strong

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 15HP Kawasaki and a 15HP Kohler, and like both the same - both sound the same, and perform the same IMO.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I perfer the Kawasaki over the Kohler. The Kohler does run smoother, but the Kaw just seems to have power. Maybe its deceiving because its louder.

10. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

I think my 14 hp Kohler starts a lot easer in the cold than my Kawasaki does. Anyone else notice this???