Which should I buy a Exmark 52" or 60"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clericlandscaping, May 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Clericlandscaping

Clericlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Ok guys Ive picked up some larger properties that are 2-3 acres each and my phazer 44 just isnt cutting it. No pun intended. Im looking at the 52" or 60" Exmark lazer.

The 60 is huge and looks great but the 52 is a bit more nimble im torn, there is only a $600. difference between the two.

The only catch is my dealer has the 52" has the 27 hp kohler and the 60" has the 25 kohler.

So im thinking the 52 with the bigger engine. but i get another 8 inches with the 60.

Im looking for experiences and opinions Please.
    p.s im keeping the phazer to get to the small areas. and I have a 36 walk behind for gates.

Thanks

2. trook

trook LawnSite Member

If you're gonna keep the 44, I would go for the 60"

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Just get the 60! 2 hp is not going to make a noticable diffrence
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Don't make the mistake I made few years back and buy a bigger mower for a couple of bigger properties I picked up, wound up losing them shortly after. However, if you are going to buy one go with the 60. I will say that my 48" deck that I have now has not caused me a lot of lost time on the bigger acerage compared to when I had the 60. If you are going to go the new route though make sure you have a contract and they are going to make it worth your while.

I really think you would be better off staying with the 44 for 2-3 acres. Now for 8-10 acres that might be different.

5. Clericlandscaping

from Canada

Thanks . But its not just 2 acres. 2 houses side bay side at 2 acres each. another 2 acres down the street , 2 on the over the hill an 1 downtown. thats 9 i guess. Takes me forever with the 44.

i tested the 52 and 60 today the 52 seemed quicker but the 60 was Huge. lol

By the way How much you guys charging per acre these days?? im going $100 per acre not including flower beds

6. QualityLawnCare4u

100 per acre!!!! Gawd*ang, I need to move to Canada!!!

7. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

100$ per acre! I just got the for sale sign out! See ya on the other side! Oh wait, icoukd just out another bussiness in canadia
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Clericlandscaping

from Canada

LOL why what is an acre going for in the US.? Plus you have to remember that a 52" z in the US is like $8500 and in canada its $10,500 so I guess it all works out : )

9. QualityLawnCare4u

In my area an acre will go for 20-25 bucks. Not saying that you can't get a little more sometimes but this is the norm.

10. Clericlandscaping

from Canada

20-25. How do you make any money.? what do you charge for a small residential. we start at 30 and depending on the gardens and trimming go to $180 per visit.

When cutting an acre u have gas on the machine , Labour say minimum 1 hr. and you have to tag in maintenance equipment and downtime.

At $20-30 you are working for free, dont sell yourself short, it cost big bucks to run these machines,

Check out this im sure you have seen it but if not

http://www.exmark.com/productivity.htm