1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which should I buy scag hydro (older) or belt exmark metro newer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Rll131, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Rll131

Rll131 LawnSite Member

The scag is little bit older the exmark was home owner used only for 3 seasons. The scag was commercially used lightly. Both are 1300. I've never owned a hydro do the pumps need to be replaced ofte? How much more maintenance are they? Which would you buy and why? Here are some pics. Scag has 15 kohler command exmark has the 15 hp kawie Kai.

2. Rll131

Rll131 LawnSite Member

Picture of the metro both are 48

3. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag hydro for sure. Belt drives sucks.
  4. Rll131

Rll131 LawnSite Member

I've only owned belt driven before.do the hydro pumps need to be replaced often or just keep up on changing the fluid. How much is a hydro if one needs to be replaced ?
  5. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

I would disagree that beltdrives suck, but they don't back up as well for sure. The reverse on the Metro is more of a notion, than an actual drive - it assists when you need to back the mower up, but will not push it up a hill. This makes doing "Y turns" something of a challenge, but not really an issue for me. Costs of the Scag hydro parts were in the $250-300 range I think, and you may find that you need to take it in for service instead of doing it at home. The Metro's failure points are the belts, and other user serviceable pieces.
  6. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Scag for me all the way! the hydros as long as they are kept up on will not need replaced, and usually outlast the engine.
  7. jakes mowing

jakes mowing LawnSite Senior Member

deffinatly get the scag. belt drives areent worth the money in my opinion. get something that you will still enjoy using after a long day instead of cussing it out.
  8. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, notice the drive wheel on the sucky belt drive is smaller than the hydro drive.

If that Scag was closer, I would buy it.
  9. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree belt drives suck, but I don't deal with lot of hills or having to go in reverse awhole lot. If I needed to go in reverse much Im sure I would have a different opinion. I like the piece mind knowing I can replace and service everything on the machine (minus internal engine parts) myself and for a lower cost. I have the ECS on my Metro that I think helps allot in terms of fatigue and comfort over a pistol grip belt drive. The Scag appears to be in good shape and probably the better deal as a hydro is more$$.
  10. Rll131

Rll131 LawnSite Member

Ya I'm leaning toward the scag. But like one of you stated it is nice knowing how to fix everything, but man it is a pain I the ass sometimes mowing with the belt drive. Ill just keep up on the maintenance and honestly I thought it would be more then250 to replace a hydro motor not to muc more than a transmission on a belt drive.