which shrubs/trees for retaining walls

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Marek13, May 8, 2008.

1. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

Hi guys -I need some help and ideas. One of my clients has a retaining wall around the back its a 2 step wall (first one from the ground up is like 5 ft tall and 5 ft wide then goes the second one up the hill also about 5 ft tall, the client wants some shrubs planted on the first level, as he has only mulch and it looks very empty. Now the working area is about 5ft wise and 40 ft long and has an ark or curve to it. now the client listen to Home cheapo guys and want to make sure that I use shrubs/trees that don't grow deep roots because he is afraid that this will push the wall forward??? Any how what’s you suggestion and ideas what shrubs should I use (his back has about 50% shade) any of you did similar job maybe you have some pic of it –I am not trying to copy anyone’s work but just to get an idea
    Much appreciate any input
    Thanks
    :waving::waving::waving::waving:

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't use any trees because you will have issues with the roots. Choose shrubs that will stay within the confines of the bed without constant pruning. Some posibilities: Taunton or Densiformis yews, Dwarf Alberta Spruce, PJM Rhododendron, Clethra, Chokeberry, Snowberry.

3. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise -any one else cares to add -maybe some examples
    Really appreciate all your input

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

Arbs would be my first thought. Rhoddys work well too.

half shade, I don't think the Clethra would work, they need sun.

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Clethra is listed in Dirr's book as needing part shade to full sun. If it is growing in full sun it will need moist soil. I have grown them successfully in full shade.

6. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

well what ever works for you.