Which size engine to have

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chris638, Feb 26, 2007.

1. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to buy a 48" walk behind, but I don't know which size engine to get a 15 HP or 17 HP. Both are Kawasaki engines. The 17 HP is about $500.00 more than the 15 HP. Is the 15 HP going to be enough or I am better off going with the 17 HP? It is a Snapper Pro, hydro drive if that helps.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the 17, are you running a sulky you will need the extra power.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

15 has been good for me but if I did it again I would get the 17 for the electric start.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 52 with a kaw 17 great power for mowing weekly . but it will bog with really high and wet grass.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

On, a hydro I would go 17 on a 48" machine. Gear drive 48" a 15 would be ok.

6. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

definately 17 hp

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

the bigger the better.

8. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Pugs. And horsepower is good.

What are your reasons for getting the hydro? And how much are you going to pay for it?

I have 2 walk-behinds that are gear-drives. I don't use them a whole lot. But the gear drives perform fine. I just use them for small areas and hills that I can't hit with a rider.

I do think a hydro walk-behind would increase efficiency compared to a gear-drive, and they are a lot easier to back-up. You can also mow in the rain with a hydro, while the belts can slip on a gear-drive.

For new guys starting out, I think a gear drive can be sufficient while you build up savings for a rider. The rider makes things much easier, especially with your hands. (Pistol grips cause hand pain.)

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Toro 48" w/15hp kaw belt drive and it does fine so unless you have the hydro go with the 15hp you won't notice much of a difference in power w/ the 17hp their the same engine with bigger carbs for the additional 2hp.

10. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great input. I'm definitely getting the hydro. Most of the yards we will be doing are going to be less that half acre, almost all residental. Therefore I don't have a great need for a rider, plus it seems like to me that most walk behinds are just as effecient as riders without doubling in price. Especially in the size yards were doing. Appreciate all the good info.