Which skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SowGreen, Feb 15, 2007.

1. SowGreen

SowGreen LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying a skid steer this year instead of subcontracting the work. My work consist of installing new lawns on mainly exsisting homes ie., running a landscape rake, removing weeds and grass, spreading topsoil. I need some suggestions on which machine would best fit my needs ie., small vs. large, tracked vs. wheeled, horse power, high-flow hydraulics. I live in Atlanta so choice is not a problem. Thanks in advance. Jason

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

SowGreen.....go to the top of lawnsite and use the "search" feature. You will find miles and miles of posts on skids to help you choose.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that's a pretty broad question. That's like asking "I wanna buy a pickup, what should I buy?"

Do a search, you'll be reading for days.

4. SowGreen

SowGreen LawnSite Member

Maybe I asked the wrong question. I've been searching post for months and have learned a lot. I guess I'm not looking for brand suggestions but rather size suggestions for the type work I will be doing. Thanks.

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I feel the first step is too decide what type of controls do you want.

I prefer Pilot controls.

The next step is too set your budget .

Most every machine out there will do the tasks you mentioned .

Most all have a loyal following.

About every color is well represented in Atlanta.

I prefer Takeuchi.

Size wise is a matter of personal choice.
    I would rather be too big than too small.
    High flow is not needed for Landscaping.

I purchased a tracked machine because I felt it was less invasive and I already had a tractor for the lighter work.
    Actually I do work very similar too yours .

Good luck.

6. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I pretty much agree with all that AWJ said.

If you don't have any restrictions to a larger machine, I would get the biggest that you can afford. You might burn a little more fuel than a smaller machine, but there will be times that you'll wish you would have gone bigger.

I would demo several different makes and see which one you're most comfortable with. Case and Deere would be my top two.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have read for days and I am still not sure the way to go.

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

What may help you then is setting up appointments with sales managers and demoing different models. Many of the sales guys will tell you within a range of what may work best for you. Try to find a dealer fairly close, and most of all check their reputation as a dealer and the after service they give. Bobcat, cat, case, tacheuchi, gehl, their are so many good machine choices to be had, they all do the work for many many hours without breakdowns or even servicing. I can tell you that demoing is the way to go, sometimes it comes down to what feels best.

demo, demo, demo

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

If you're looking for a machine to install sod, at least a 2,000 pound ROC would be beneficial. You'd probably want a machine that doesn't weigh 8,500 pounds (to prevent too much damage to existing turf or grounds), but at the same time, one that's beefy enough to handle full pallets of sod. (This assumes, by the way, that you do need to handle sod -- and not just move them from curbside to lawn but actually off truckbeds.)

High-flow probably isn't crucial unless you plan to run a mower or Brushcat (Bobcat's name for the attachment whose name I forgot) for those weeds. Tillers usually are okay on a large-frame model these days, so you probably won't have too big a problem with that.

Tracked machines... you may want to search on that one or just dig up some old threads. It's not clear-cut whether they'll be better for your application. How much mud do you usually work in? Do you work in clay or other soft soils? If you've run skids before, has getting stuck been a perennial problem?

You had mentioned that choices are plenty. Even so, what's your purchasing timeframe? Does one dealer stand out as being especially attentive? What do other customers in your area think of parts support and the service department of the dealer?

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you're not really sure where to start, get yourself a job, bury yourself into a commitment and just rent or demo a machine and go to work. Get quotes and demo's from various dealers, you have to start somewhere. Reading specs on the internet is really only good for those of us who know what we currently run and what we'd like to have in our next machine. I can understand how someone looking for their first machine would be completely overwhelmed.

The key is to start shopping. Go look at some machines. Don't talk to a sales guy if you don't want to, just go take a look at machines on a lot. I've been "lot running" since I was about 7 or 8 years old, I've grown up with equipment so naturally when we went to purchase our first skid I knew the questions to ask, what to look for, and had a good idea of what we needed.

I hope that helped a little.