which skidloader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by shanaqua, Mar 25, 2005.

1. shanaqua

shanaqua LawnSite Member

I currently own a case 1845c, but need something bigger with vertical lift. I have looked at the new case 445 (85xt), new holland 185b, cat 252, and bobcat 250. The case dealership is offering the best deal, however, do any of you have recommendation or preference and why?

2. Anthony Orlando

Anthony Orlando LawnSite Member

I have a S205. I really like it and it should be comparable to yours.26,000 with cab and heat, hand and foot controls, strobe, Bobtach, selfleveling bucket and a 68 inch bucket. It has a strong lift rating and beefy tires.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Shanqua, what do you plan to do with the loader? As far the 1845C goes, were you planning to trade it in or sell it on your own?

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Do you want both more lifting capacity and power? Do you need vertical lift? The 440 I think is the best option although it does not have a vertical lift. The 440 has 2200 pounds of lift approx. 80hp, turbocharged, considering your 1845C has 1750 pounds of lift and 56 hp it is quite an up grade. Remember the 445 is not turbocharged. The CASE machines are built heavier than the others. The cabs on the Bobcat are nice but CASE closed the gap somewhat on the 400 series. The CAT can be had with CASE control pattern. You may struggle with the CAT controls if you have spent any serious amount of time in a CASE. Which machine probably comes down to what you expect the machine to do. I would demo each of them and draw your own conclusions.

5. JustUsDe

JustUsDe LawnSite Member
    from De

I am partial to Bobcat. They are the only ones I will buy. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices you posted with the exception of the New Holland. They are still behind compared to all the other brands. They are one of the hardest to work on. Just to raise the cab takes a few hours. With all the other brands a few minutes and you can have the cab raised and have access to all the hydros.

Ray

6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

As far as I know, NH has rather decent servicability... surely not a few hours. They might require a bit more to lift the cab forward, but I'm not sure if they're that far behind other manufacturers.

7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

New Holland makes an awesome skid steer. I know thats the choice around here.

8. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

we have a mustang, nothing wrong with it but we dont plan on buying another one, got ours in 1997, it is a 2040 which is about 1300lbs class. Just got back from Las Vegas Conexpo show and the Mustangs are almost exactly the same as they were in 97, thats almost 10 years ago and no real new development, gonna be a Cat or Bobcat next time around..........now a ?....does anyone here have a bigger skidsteer now then they once had, and regret going bigger for working space reasons etc? We were looking at the Cat 236 and the bobcat 205 which are bigger then mustang.......

9. shanaqua

shanaqua LawnSite Member

thanks for the responses. I do home construction, so i am looking for lifting capacity, and height reach. This will be benifitial in unloading lumber bundles, and getting plywood to roofs. (machine will be used primarily for lift and carry)I won't do much digging, but do topsoil/ finish grading with my skid also. I am hoping the longer wheelbases over my 1845 will lead to a smoother ride also? The case dealer is offering me my original purchase price as trade on new, off of cash price. ( it is real clean, low houred and they already have it sold if i make the deal.) I am partial to hand controls. I love the cat controls, have not used the bobcat hand controls. The case seem like they take quite a bit of effort, Do they fatigue you after a lot of use? Sorry about the rambling.

10. JustUsDe

JustUsDe LawnSite Member
    from De