1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which sod is least likely to get torn up by dogs that run around alot?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ric3077, Mar 5, 2007.

Which sod is best for dogs to run on?

1. Fescue Blend

2. Zoysia

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer with 2 large dogs that tore up his lawn just by running around it all day, not digging. Which sod do you think would handle foot traffic better a Fescue blend or Zoysia? And why? Thanks!
  2. Ric3077

Anyone out there?
  3. try indoor, outdoor carpet.
  4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Tracks around the fence, Ric?

Pretty much a lost cause, IMO
  5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, thats a tuff one

years ago we had this lady call and ask us if we could fill in some holes in her lawn from squirells. we got there and they were actually from her dogs digging up her lawn. this lady was nutzoid and wouldnt believe us it was from her dogs. she even had a weird pet cemetary in a viewing/court area. oh well we just cashed the check and went on lol :usflag:
  6. Ric3077

No not around the fence in the middle of the back yard...there is a bowling alley size path that the dogs always run to get from one end of the yard to the other...anyway it is all dirt now maybe 5 feet wide by 40 feet long...if that helps
  7. Ric3077

I see the votes are leaning toward fescue, and thats what I suggested to the customer but he was thinking zoysia might take the abuse better...but like you guys are saying, if you have roudy dogs the will tear up anything.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

personally i think zoysia would be better.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Blue grass and fescue mix. problem is gettin it to establish before it is tore up again. I actually find that if you aerate the heck out of it and toss down seed 3 x a year it works out great. I have the same problem in my yard and You just have to chalk it up to having dogs and kids.
  10. Ric3077

Yea I am worried about it establishing too...bluegrass isn't an option as he is pretty much only going to water to establish it and bluegrass won't survive this heat we get on rain alone. I am going to suggest at least Aa Spring and Fall aeration and overseeding and go from there thanks everyone!