Which spiral trimmer line do you like?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cvcook, Apr 18, 2011.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

actually, we have been in business for 30 years, tried them ALL, we only use twisted line as it cuts superiorly clean and saves wear and tear on trimmer clutches. but, you are right...it does not last as long.

we use shakespeare ultra twist but it was discontinued, so looks like gator twist is gonna be the next purchase

2. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I get mine from the Toro dealer,haven't seen it in big box stores. Another Stihl dealer has it too.

3. landers lawn

landers lawn LawnSite Member

i use rotary vortech. that is good stuff.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's really weird that all of a sudden it's hard to find good trimmer line lol...one thing i noticed was be careful when buying 3 lb spools...i saw at ace hardware they had echo line in a 1 lb package that was $10...they also had a 3 lb spool that was $40...would be cheaper to buy 3- 1 lb packages rather than to buy a 3 lb spool.

5. ChristianJ318

ChristianJ318 LawnSite Member

That's rhino tuff Triangle shaped line. I bought the little $3 trial package and didn't care for it too much plus It breaks easily and would leave pieces all of lawns but it was very easy to spot to go back and pick it up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ChristianJ318

Correction to above; incorrect name, the neon green stuff is Shakespeare ugly line.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

good to know its not the quality line I thought it might be and that it breaks too much.

8. ChristianJ318

For $3 try it for yourself, maybe youll like it. My helper did and if I were in a bind I would buy more but I'd know to look for pieces to pick up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I use the cheapo dark green stuff they sell at JDL/Lesco. $35 per 5lb roll doesn't weld and blends well with Fescue, no picking up trimmer scraps.

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

It is not my favorite but I buy it every now and then when the dealer has it on sale. As a matter of fact I just put a 3lb spool on the holder yesterday. I will agree that it is pretty good line and though it is not a true "twist" line it stills flies just as straight and holds up fine.