Which spray set up should I buy

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bart may, Mar 19, 2004.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I need some advice from you spray pros. I own a lawn mowing company. We mow about 250 accounts a week. My customers keep asking me to spray, so finally I just got my license. I will be spraying 2 large condo assoc. for sure. One is 275,000sf and the other is 435,000sf. I'm sure I'll get most of my other clients once I let them know I'm spraying.

My question is what size(gallons), what make or model would be a good starter sprayer. Price isn't really a factor. I know that I'll pay it off. I'm tired of fighting Chemlawn over application rates they are applying and so are my customers. Please take a few minutes to help me. I'm in Montana so no need to worry about competition.

2. smoke johnson

smoke johnson LawnSite Member

Z-spray is the best sprayer ot there i own several and that is the only thing that i will every buy. z-spray.com

3. lovdasnow

lovdasnow LawnSite Member

those z-sprayers look pretty sweet! Anyway, I was just wondering if you want backpack sprayers, or something a little smaller? I really like the plain old solo backpack sprayers, but they are only 4 gal.
    Anyway have a great day!!...Jon

4. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

luvdasnow, don't you think that it will take a long time to spray 435,000 m with a back pack sprayer? If you are going to have alot of large accounts like the two that you mentioned, I think you should use a setup similar to chemlawn, if those are the only two that are that big go with a smaller tank, the people that you will be marketing to are already used to seeing it done the way that chemlawn is doing it, if you go in with a z-spray or perma green ride on spreader what do you think they will think of that.

5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a skid type sprayer with at least a 500 gal tank, basically set up like Chemlawn does with the chem lawn gun.

I don't much care for their marekting techniques and some of their so called agronomy, but they did develop the most efficient application equipment. We have three trucks set up that way, and have found nothing else that works as well. We set up our first truck that way in 1980. Since then, we have tried numersous different approaches to applications, and have found nothing that is better or faster.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

As Doug said....be sure you have a truck that will handle the weight...you'll be around 5000lbs with a full 500gals including weight of the tank itself.

8. bart may

from montana

Thanks for the replies. If I did go with a 200 gallon tank how often would I have to mix up just doing those 2 big ones? Also I haven't got a clue how you mix or anything. Do you by fert. that is pre packaged in bags that you can just drop in the tank or do you use dry and agitate until dissolved in your tank? I'm sure your thinking why are you spraying if you can't figure that out. I know that the competition won't give advice and we don't have a Lesco or supplier like that to go to. Thanks for your help

9. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

With 435,000 sq ft make sure you have enough hose to get the whole property.

10. bart may

from montana

The property is cut up nasty. Lots of trees and things to go around. I'm sure that it will take me awhile. Most skid mounts have 300 ft. I guess I'll have to just move around to cover it all.