Which states require licensing?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jan 15, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious as to which states require licensing for irrigation. At this point Colorado does not,but I believe it would be a good idea. All that is required is to have a cross-connection license (which I do) and get a permit pulled (which most don't). Especially since the water boards/city councils are creating landscape and irrigation ordinances. Not sure how they will enforce any of the new measures (which I will talk about in my next post).

What are your thoughts on licensing?

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

NJ, CA, TX, FL, maybe IL and others are pending. In NJ it is set up under the DEP as opposed to Consumer Affairs. consumer affairs is what lic the plumbers and electricians and barbers and beauticians etc.

When work was done initially in NJ to get licensing, many thought and maybe knew that the plumbers would have a bloody fit over it and squash it if it was in consumer affairs. I don't know why, because as the law is written, only a plumber can make tap and install backflow (or homeowner). There work could still have been protected with the same writing in consumer affairs I think. And few if any plumbers install irrigation here.

Apparently in Illinois lots of plumbers do irrigation and you have to have a plumber or plumbing lic to do irrigation and there is a fight to let others put stuff in.

There was also the thinking that if it was a water use and quality resource issue it would go easy through the DEP. I personally think there were some contractors that thought they were somebody that thought that being lumped under consumer affairs didn't carry the social stature as being under DEP.

Many thought it would help the industry technically and weed out trash and less knowledgeable competition and improve pricing. I siad that wouldn't happen and it hasn't. A moron is alwasy a moron and a cheapskate is alwasy a cheapskate even if you license them. SAme crap, different day except I pay $300 every 2 yrs to endure it now. I got bumped out of a commercial account that I've been at for 20 yr last spring by an unlicensed guy charging $35/hr for labor and no clue as to what he was doing. %There were so many unlicensed guys operating that the enforcment contract was stopped becasue the budget ran out before all the guys were caught this year. Now we are talking a law put in force in 1996. And my $300 is due for the 4th 2yr period now. Guys were renting licenses to other companies by saying theuy worked for them. However payroll records didn't show them on the payroll. Some companies were paying 200-300/wk for a license. It was better than working.

3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean Certification?.......I for one am against more laws......

But, I do believe water restrictions are they way to go. I was very skeptical of them when the council implemented them this past year. But, I think they eventually force a homeowner to repair that crap system or suffer the lousy yard (albeit slowly).

I wonder how well water restrictions were enforced this past year? I'm sure you've seen many violaters (like I have) ignore this policy. I think if this is enforced to the "T" it will result in significant water savings.

The council really needs to pursue the big users......commercial and industrial users.....they demand much more water then homeowners do.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

One of my clients is a bank on the north end of town. They received their written worning in October after we watered it for the one day in Oct. People called saying water was running down the street. Well utilities came out and video taped it (which is breaking the law. You can't take pics or video of a bank without permission). Water was running down the sidewalk and into the drain. I wonder why, maybe it was because:

1. Hadn't watered in almost 3 weeks due to no watering after the first of Oct. Ground was bone dry.

2. North side of building is on a severe slope.

3. It was windy that day but if it was the last day to water, were we going to use it.

My crew was stopped on a property we were repairing/revamping due to it being an old system and neede dmajor updateing. Actually it was for City Housing. Utilities stopped them and said they couldn't water because it was Monday, nobody can water. We were turning the zones on, flagging the repairs necessary, making the repairs and checking the zones again. How are we supposed to work then. No work on Monday? No work from 9 am to 6 pm? they need to enforce things and educate there own employees better.

Want to know why the city contracts to me to service their stuff? Most their guys don't know a thing about irrigation. We fixed things that they already fixed. And then they got upset at my bill. Oh well.

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Thats exactly my point........they can't even enforce water restrictions.........

heck, why not require all systems to have soil moisture probes too? also, wind gauges?

6. Wick

Wick LawnSite Member

Here in RI they just initiated a licensing program last year. My thoughts pretty much follow Mr. Fox's. The jist was to weed out the riff raff, but I haven't and dont expect to see that any time soon. There is relatively no enforcement of the law and there are just as many "hacks" lowballing the pros as ever. All it really did for me was cost me $175 a year and raise my price by the cost of the permits I now have to pull.