Which String Trimmer To Buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cornbuds, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Cornbuds

Cornbuds LawnSite Member

Hi all. I'm not a professional yard care person, just a homeowner, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge from the experts here, so I'd like to run a question by you all.

I'm looking for an all-in-one tool for lawn trimming, tree pruning and edging and have narrowed the field down to the Echo SRM-210SB and the Tanaka TBC-250SF. (Tanaka doesn't have the split shaft on their website, but this link is the same model without the split shaft). I physically inspected both at a local shop and both seem to be very well made. The Tanaka has a little more power and seems to be more of a commercial build, whereas the Echo seems to be geared more to the homeowner, however the Tanaka and it's accessories are a little more expensive. I like the split shaft design because both manufacturers have the extra accessories I'm looking for such as the edger and tree pruner.

This is only going to be used for my personal residence, which is not on a large lot - it's just a tract home. Any suggestions on which one to go with would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone think I'm going overkill with the Echo or Tanaka? Should I just get a lower end model from Toro or MTD from a big-box store for around half the price, considering this is just for my own home?

Thanks again for any guidance you can provide! :)

2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Tanaka out of those two. You may also want to check out Stihl. I would buy commercial if possible becuase as a homeowner it will last you a lifetime so $400 bucks over 15 years isnt so bad.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You're going to get as many different opinions as if you ahd ask a Ford or a Chevy? :)

Just as I respectfully disagree with All Degree, as I would say between those two go with the Echo. I use of course only commercial, but use Echo, RedMax and Stihl brands and much prefer the Echo over the rest. As a matter of fact I even change the heads out when I buy new trimmers to the Echo SRM head so that I only have to keep one kind of spool loaded on the trucks.

But as All Degree said, DO consider upgrading to the Commercial line because yes it will cost more but will last you a long time.

4. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl Kombi-System. Stihl hand held tools are great!!

5. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

As a homeowner, unless you have a pesonal preferance, the name brand doesn't matter. I would suggest the Tanaka just because of the extra power. If you were just using it as a trimmer the smaller cc's would be fine. If you are going to use other attachments I think the extra power would serve you a little better.

6. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I think a commercial trimmer would be a waste of money. A homeowner echo from homedepot will last a long time if properly taken care of. Thats what I used to start my business 4 yrs ago...It has well over 1000 hrs and still works great, but I prefer my redmax :)

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would get the tanaka. they look like a very good trimmers. there is a world of difference in the ease of cutting with a commercial tirmmer

8. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    This is Mark Woodling from Tanaka. Have you made your decision yet? Let me know if you have anymore questions.

-MW

9. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

if you are just going to do trimming and edging it should be just fine, but if plain on getting tiller,pro sweep,pruner i would go with the pas231,a little more power will make the job easer ,note the echo products that end in 1 are the newest models ,more EPA friendly ,all echo product that are used as a consumer model have 2yr warranty

10. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

If money is the issue go with the Echo SRM-210SB

If you can spend a little more money get the Echo PAS-230.

You will have a much easier time getting parts and service for the Echo products