Which String trimmers should I buy?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by GreenMachine GT20, Apr 17, 2006.

1. GreenMachine GT20

GreenMachine GT20 LawnSite Member

I have 1-acre worth of property. I am looking for a powerful string trimmer. Are 4-cycle trimmers any good?
    Thanks.
    Ed Romine

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a cheap commercial trimmer. Stihl or Echo or Redmax are all good brands. Owned one of them all and have problems with one thing or another in each of them. None are perfect.

3. totallawncare912

totallawncare912 LawnSite Member

4-cycle more to work on with valves to adjust nothing is better then straight old 2-cycle IMO. Kawasaki, Shindaiwa, Redmax in that order is what i prefer

4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

We use all Echo equipment and are very happy with their products!

5. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS-80...hands down.

6. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

Echo 2 stoke 260s is what I'm using right now and I like it. I guess it depends what brands are available where you live. Kawasaki, Shindaiwa, Redmax and such aren't sold around here. Just Stihl and Echo.

7. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

am using a Stihl FS75. I don't recommend it. 2 stroke, but even with a carb kit it's too cold blooded (a bit low on torque). Far worse is the tiny amount of string the spool holds. Not something you'd tend to think about, but the damn thing is always running out of string.

I do like 2 stroke, but...

g-luck

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

You will do good with the $200 Echo SRM-210 sold at Home Depot.

9. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I second the FS-80. I have 2 acres and have had mine for 5 years with-out a single problem.

10. RLSLandscaping

RLSLandscaping LawnSite Member

redmax they are complete studs...nothing compares to the redmax trimmer...other equip sure..but not the trimmer....i've run stihl, husky, echo, and spent just over $400 for the redmax and it's a stud solid as a rock. echo is crap. stihl has great hedge trimmers and other things. husky is good also, just not for trimmers...whatever u do get a STRAIGHT shaft........