Which system and why?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Nov 19, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So you've got switch-n-go and you've got swap loader and others.............which to go with and why?

I'm looking at spending about $4,000 more on my truck then planned so I'm trying to figure which loader is the best bang for the buck. I checked out "swap loader" yesterday (actually first time I've seen any system up close)..........the system alone was $21,000 without ANY cans/bodies (another $3,000 for the landscape can). Honestly I think that is ******** expensive.

I'm looking at $24,500 (including tax) for a cab and chasis International (254" wheelbase, 6spd Fuller, 129k miles)........then another $1,200 to get the cab painted.

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Guys that have Switch and go love them, as do hooklift owners. For that truck, in a Swaploader, I would look at the SL 185. I don't have any experience as a Switch and Go owner but I've looked at a few. Compared to my Swaploader (SL 222), its clearly a lighter duty machine.

With the Swaploader, it is nice to be able to push the truck away from the body and vise versa. Not sure you can do that with a S & G, as it is a gravity system. Also, its handy to be able to get between the truck and body while the body is rolled back but still attached. I have space to run the mini skid though there as well.

I don't like the stock, flatbed/dovetail bed Buck's builds. The dovetail is too short and steep. I had my flatbed custom built using a Reading 14' bed and a 3 1/2 foot dovetail...total length just under 18'. That was assembled on a Swaploader 200 series frame.

3. tthomass

from N. VA

The Swap Loader that they qouted me just over $21,000 for was the SL 145.......I would need a larger loader if I go 33k GVW but the current Intl I'm looking at it is a 26k GVW.

Who did yours? I know yours is a bigger system but what did it cost? I want to find another dealer to compare prices. I can't afford $21,000 just for the system and then more $ for the cans/bodies. I'll only be getting one can to start with.

4. tthomass

from N. VA

American Hook-All........found another

5. tthomass

from N. VA

just figured out one big difference.......all this time i had been looking at "hook" lifts vs the cable/wench setups.........."hooks" are almost double the price

makes since now as i was comparing with others and wondering why things did not add up.....thought this to be good info for anyone else looking into these systems

6. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I called Swaploader direct, told them what I wanted to do, and the salesman 'hooked' me up with the 222. I wanted to use bodies in the 18 to 22 foot range and that was the one they spec'd me with. At that time (2002) the 185 was not available. Now what I have basically is a hooklift suitable for a class 7 truck, on a class 6. Oh well, no need to worry about over taxing the system. But, I do run at about 16,700 lbs. with the flatbed on and no cargo.

I bought the Swaploader direct from them, they shipped it to K.E. Rose in Dayton, then I paid K.E Rose to shorten the frame, install the unit, fenders, paint, lights, tool box, etc. Altogether I had about $45,000 in the truck at completion.

7. sitesolutionsllc

sitesolutionsllc LawnSite Member

Don't forget to check out stellar. If you go with swaploader go with the SL-180 though.

8. tthomass

from N. VA

i'm go'n to check out a Switch-N-Go demo...........hook lift i want but would be stupid to spend the extra $7,000 vs cables