Which tires would you choose??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

It's about time for some new tires for the Woods. I like the bar-tread tractor-looking tires like on the grasshoppers. It has regular turf mates on it now, and I have trouble going straight up hills and staying straight sideways. Will the bar-tread tires tear up the grass more than the turf mates? I would like to get the Lawnsite Opinion.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My experience has been that bar-type treads tear up the turf a lot more, especially when the ground is wet. They are good for going up hills, but I think they are worse about sliding on sidehills.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

They really don't tear up the turf on turns as bad as you might think. In fact no worse than turf tires if turned properly. They will tend to slide down hills though.

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Titan ATV tire on my hustler shortcut...They don't tear up the yards like you would think...I have considered gettting the regular turf tires however after today I think I will stick with the ATV's...you could feel them wanting to break loose on a hill I cut today but they held in there..I think if I had the regular turf tires I would have gone for a ride sideways down the hill..just my 2 cents

5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnshark,
    I'm running a Walker MT-54. I was going to switch to a Turf-Saver tire until I heard from some on this site that they are not worth a HOOT for climbing hills. Since mine had good tread on them I put a tube in the one that was leaking. After putting the tube in I found out that the other one already had a tube in it. I'm going to stick with the tires that came with the Walker, they are Dico Multi-Trac. Very good traction on hills, and I have some NASTY ones, almost straight up. As far as tearing the turf I just make 3 point turns and have no trouble with turf tear. As far as the AG type tires I'm not sure how they would work, by the looks of them you would think they would really tear up a lawn. Good Luck with your choice.
    Mowman