1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which to buy (compressor)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grassmanak, Nov 30, 2007.

1. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

im looking to buy a new compressor i bought a cheap one last year, 300.00 one and am not happy with it. I use it for light stuff in the garage but did use it for a couple blowouts and it was terrible. Im looking at buying a unit from northern tool, They have 12 months no intrest right now. Im looking to buy something to stick in the back of the truck. What should i buy, they have free shipping on most of them. They cost around 2K they put out about 25cfm. Is one that puts out 25 cfm at 175psi better than one that puts out the same at 90psi?

2. grassmanak

also what about hoses, i have 100 foot of 3/8in , is 3/4 in the way to go? How much should i get, 100 or 150, IR makes a flat hose, any of you use it, its expensive though, 100ft is 200.00
  3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

either one of those units is going to give you sub par performance when doing blow outs. buy an electric compressor for your garage and a used screw compressor for blow outs. its not the pressure its the volume that you need to blow out in a reasonable amount of time. about the hose 3/8" is good for your garage but for blow out use 3/4" and the length is not something that anyone but you can decide because we dont know how far away the blow out fitting is away from where you park you truck on your jobs. good luck.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think any packaged compressor is optimal for truckmount use. I would figure the Ingersoll-Rand to be better built to last a decade of winterizings.

If I was designing a truckmount compressor, it would use a single-stage compressor, with head unloaders, for cooler running. You just don't need the 175 psi a two-stage unit can deliver, and the 'extra compression' of a two-stage is a source of ice crystals forming in the decompressed air as it leaves the tank.

The hose should not be a place to skimp on quality, although you can do good work with an ordinary garden hose, if it is of the highest-quality synthetic material.
  5. grassmanak

i dont have the space or the quanity of accounts for a tow behind unit. The nor star unit is 26cfm at 90psi. Is this better than 25 at 175 like the IR unit is.
  6. Wet_Boots

You ask comparative comments of quality about equipment that folks here aren't using. Who do you trust more, Ingersoll-Rand, or a catalog outfit like Northern Hydraulics? I turned down a chance to buy a similar Grainger unit for $400 - I could build a better one for that money.
  7. grassmanak

im not worried about the quality, they all use the same parts guys. im just wondering is 90 at 26cfm better than 175psi and 25, or vise versa. Id rather have the IR unit, but im not sure about the CFM stuff
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If "they all use the same parts", then why does the IR weigh almost 100lbs more than the other one?

And I don't know, but I would seem to think that something that can move 25CFM while holding 175psi would be better than one that moves 26CFM while only holding 90psi.
  9. Wet_Boots

Different pump. Different tank. Ingersoll manufactures compressor pumps. They may also import some Chinese ones, so do some research.

CFM is all that matters. You will not be running these at 90 psi, so top-end pressure doesn't matter. If the IR unit was running at 90 psi, it would have a higher cfm number.
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

For speed...125 CFM (cubic feet per minute) is my vote..VOLUME is the name of the
    game, not pressure. Being able to adjust psi is a plus, big time.