Which to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RickR1818, Mar 1, 2008.

1. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to decide on either buying a used Quick 36 or a Gravely 34 Z. This will be my main mower. If you had to choose, which would you buy. Quick 36 Samurai 2007 80hrs $2300 Gravely 34Z 2006 15hp Kaw 500hrs $2700?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would go with the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:waving:

4b80_3.jpg

6fee_1.jpg

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of properties are you mowing ?

4. RickR1818

Thats a good question! lol. Actually, right now I would say 1/4 acre or less. I have about 10 accounts but I am looking to grow tremendously this year. That is why I am so conflicted with my decision. I love the ability to sit on the Z but the Quick is such a good deal.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I personally would go with the 34" ZTR in light of your desire to substantially grow the business this year !!

6. RickR1818

Cmon, I know more of you have to have an opinion.

7. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely 34 Z is faster in open areas, quick height adjustment where the quick 36 will take a few minutes to adjust the height , less fatigue after a long day with the 34 Z. Advantages of the quick 36 is price, very lightweight and compact, will not rut a lawn up in wet conditions, also better on hills.

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

For those small props. I would go with the quick and order a step saver. When you grow then you can add a 48 in. + Z when it's truly needed.

9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

My opinion. Unless a majority of your properties have small gates to go through, get the largest mower that will manuever around the obstacles on your properties. I have a 66 ZT and a 44 WB. Thats all I carry. Personally I will never go smaller than 48 again. Fact is Im thinking about a 52 for my small mower. I had about 10 properties when I started out and used the 44 WB. It gets real old really fast and you just cant do the properties fast enough with a small WB. At this point, I would turn down a property with a small gate rather than own a smaller mower. Remember, you wanted opinions and thats just mine.

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You are really not going to want to walk all summer when it 90 degrees, I hardly want to sit when its that temperature let alone walk. The z is going to let you get those properties done quicker and have more time to do more lawns.