Which Toro Proline would you buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KS_Grasscutter, Jan 1, 2007.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, next season I am gonna be in the position to buy a new GOOD 21". My question- of the two versions of the Toro, which would you get? I would definitely want one with the BBC. Which engine, Honda or Kawi? I will be using the unit mainly bagging, but will also do some mulching with it.

Thanks. I am also still considering the Honda Commercial unit also, but would rather buy the one with the local dealer vs. driving to Wichita. I guess we also got a Exmark dealer close, so I would consider the Metro 21 too.
  2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

The Kaw has the one gallon tank, the honda does not.
    I will not have another bbc, can't handle the heavy grass boggs down where the others don't. JMO
  3. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Toro Sorry never
  4. gardenkeeper88

Toro never, Sorry another company yes.
  5. gardenkeeper88

Sorry didnt want to post twice got an error saying first post didn't go thru
  6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have two Toro 21's with the 6.0 hp Kawi. Its not the BBC or hi vac... I have abused these mowers for almost 5 years now. They still cut great and start easy. I think you would be happy with one.
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Pro-lines are bullet proof, tough machines. BBC is very convenient, but it does effect your bagging capabilities in thick grass. If you'll be mowing weekly I'd get it, especially if you'll be emptying bags a lot. I would probably go with the Kawi.
    You'll never regret spending the $$$ to get a 21" Pro-line. I've had the Honda, it's a well built machine, but not as ergonomic as the Toro. And the handle on the Honda catches branches as you mow around bushes and pine trees.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would stick with the kawasaki powered unit, non-bbc. IMO, the bbc is nice but it adds more parts to the equation so more chances for something to break.
  9. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the toro with the kawasaki and non BBC. I have one and it bags and mulches beautifully.

I also have a honda commercial. It beats the toro with bagging but doesn't mulch as well nor is as ergonomically designed. The toro also moves faster and is ergonomically better.
  10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. I have the non bbc kawasaki unit and love it. Very simple and no extra crap to go out on it like the bbc. Weighs less and is productive. Model 22176. Speedway sales has them for $1029 I believe.

Btw, Make sure your rpms are checked and raised to 3600. That way you can lower the speed on the throttle if you don't need all that power, but is helpful if cutting thick or wet grass. Also the gator blade does bag very well and mulches great. Less blowout than with the standard lift blade. Hope this helps. Good luck