which tractor for me?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by accuratelawn, Apr 14, 2007.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I focus on lawn care. I do some small landscape installs.
    I want a tractor for some projects around the house. I have two acres and want to plant some larger trees, build a water feature, and remove a damaged concret driveway and side walk.
    I also have about 4 acres that I mow every three weeks with a ztr and it beats the crap out of me...hilly and rough! I think brush hogging would be better.
    I would also like to persue some more landscape work vs the ton of mowing/lawn care that I am doing now.

What size tractor would be best for me?

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I think a 40 hp range tractor would serve you well. I have a Kubota 4310 with HST and full cab for my work at our "ranchette" and it has seemed to hold up well and perform over the years.

3. Buster57

Buster57 LawnSite Member

I think you may be able you get the job done with a 30 HP. Try a Kubota B7800. That is what I use these days and it does many of the jobs you describe.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

40 HP will be too heavy and large for most residential/lawn work. I have a 30 hp and its a good all around machine. Not too big or too heavy and plenty of pto hp.

5. Buster57

Buster57 LawnSite Member

No fair Lawn King-you have the fancy one!

Is that the B3030 with cab?

Very nice!

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Yes its the factory cab. I waited for years & years for a fact. cab in the B series. They kept saying its coming soon, i was just about to pull the trigger on a B7800 w/ curtis cab when the new models came out. It was worth the wait.

7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel the best tractor for the money is the John deere 4120. 43hp. Spend the extra and get the eHydro transmission. Its well worth it. I have the quick park front loader and a Mx5 john deere bush hog. This tractor makes me 150 an hour easy!

8. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

jd 4400 sweeeeeeeeeet machine

9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

What year is your 4400. I dont think JD makes the 4400 anymore. The 4000 twenty series ie 4120 4320 4520 4720 is the newest compact tractors out. How long does it take you to disconnect the whole front loader?

10. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

i think its a 02 maybe?
    it only takes 5 min.