Which trailer for a Dingo?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Jan 17, 2008.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking to buy a new trailer. However, I want it to be able to handle a Dingo as I am considering buying one in 2009. My question is can a standard landscape trailer with the the steel mesh drop gates handle a 2000 lb Dingo?

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

their is no such thing as a standard landscape trailer,

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i can tell you that they cant handle an S150. :laugh: it did handle the MT52 fine. gates didnt flex or anything. mine is a 6X14 tandem, 3500# axles.

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

my Lazer Z is 1360 # and the gates handle it fine. im going to say with the bagger full its gotta be close to 2K and ive never had a problem with the gates.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Read through before you leap but my 6x12 single axle holds the dingo fine, standard mesh gates but it is a bit hairy, it's a lot of weight. I have Load Range C radials which is one load rating higher than recommended and it bulges the tires some, also I have to load it nice and easy making sure the dingo tires are riding on the support beams vs. over the open spaces, but it does hold and haul it, same goes for the 60" Z, no major problems other than it is heavy and I know it.

I usually take it nice and easy driving, too, a good 5 mph below the speed limit and stay way back, slow down early in anticipation of upcoming possible stops and all that, just take it easy lol.

To answer the question, I dare say the dingo is the heaviest machine you'll be able to haul on a single axle trailer, but I'd definitely recommend you have radial tires of at least Load Range B, and C would be better (with load ratings the lower the letter the more weight the tire will hold, so C should be better than B).

I don't think I would like to try and haul a dingo on a single axle with no bias-plies, not for me.

Also just monitor everything, take one last look at the trailer axle before you take off, too, a heavy load range tire will fool you since it doesn't bulge much you could crack the axle before the tires give out, I have never had a problem but you just have to watch it is all I'm saying.

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 6x12 single axle (3500lb) trailer that I use to haul a dingo in. It has a wood floor and a wire mesh gate. This trailer handles the dingo fine! We have even put a pallet of sod (3000 lbs) in it with no problems.

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

How does the gate handle the dingo being driven over it?

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

No problem at all! It has a couple of support runners like all of them do. I can take a pic of it this weekend and let you see what it looks like. This was my second trailer. I guess I might be the poster child for "Buy the biggest trailer that you can" I started with a 4x8 then went to the 6x12. After that I got a 7.5x16 tandem. I sold it and got a 16 foot NPR box truck. I also have a 14 foot tandem that I haul a skid steer on. I still have the 4x8 and the 6x12 for hauling plants, pinestraw, dingo, bed edger, my equipment if the NPR is in the shop, and other stuff. I can use the box for all of this also, but sometimes it is easier to use a trailer.

Have you looked at any used trailers? You can find good deals on them around here. As long as they are not too rusted, tires are in good shape, wheel bearings not blown out, and the wood in good shape you are good to go. If it does have any of these problems they can all be fixed fairly easy if you are mechanically inclined. Make sure the axle is not bent also.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is amazing, I don't get the 6x12 but I do it too, I've loaded 2 cubic yards of dirt in it, seems like she'll hold 3-4000 pretty easy, 3,500 is pushing things and watch out I don't THINK you want to go much past that.

But it's weird, when I look at the GVWR and I subtract the curb weight it sure doesn't figure that it would hold as much.
    I've actually got a light frame bend because of doing it, you can't really see it unless you look really close but it is bent :laugh:

You have to watch your tires, and the axle...
    Some bulging is ok but watch it, too much and she'll fishtail or blow one.
    As for the axle a slight bend is fine, but not more.