which trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rb3771, Sep 13, 2005.

1. rb3771

rb3771 LawnSite Member

What are the pros and cons of an all aluminum trailer compared to all steel? I see very few aluminum trailers around here. Are they too expensive? If money was not a factor, which would you choose?
  2. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

all aluminum trailer
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well cost for one. More maintaince. May not rust, but will corrode. But vibrations can case aluminum to just crack. Aluminum can be stressed very easily. You would think its lighter. But most times the extra material used to make it as strong as steel makes it the same weight as steel.
  4. nhlakes

nhlakes LawnSite Member
    from nh

I've had both steel and aluminum trailers for 25+ years (and actually own a motorcycle trailer business) and the above has certainly not been my experience...

While more expensive, aluminum is lighter and requires FAR less maintenance. No corrosion and/or rust from my alum trailers - with the exception of some minor cosmetic corrosion on boat trailers that are dunked in saltwated.

If you live near the coast, and are interested in an enclosed trailer, I'd definitely suggest a smooth sided trailer (with epoxy securing the panels). I know someone who had the rivets corrode to the point of failure on a cheap home depot enclosed steel trailer.

Resale value is also usually higher on aluminum trailers because they often look like new 5 years later, where a steel trailer may need to be painted.

The smaller the trailer the less difference you'll see in weight. The larger the trailer the greater the advantage.

Of course if you are hauling around 4 tons of bulldozer, then aluminum is not practical.