which trailer?????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by greenback, Jan 14, 2004.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

6x10 or 6x12....i'm guessing 6x12

needs to fit a 36" and a 48" mower(might be 2 36"), 2 backpacks, trimmer, shovels, rakes, brooms, etc......

2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

3. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Trailers are like fishing tackle boxes - buy the biggest you can afford the first time. You'll be suprised how fast they fill up! Mine is 6.5'X16' tandem axle with 4' mesh sides and it's too small.

4. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

look at the long term. eventually you may get more equipment. bigger is better. and by your lawnsite logo i'm pretty sure you prefer bigger.

5. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I had the same question when I started last year. The 6X12 would have been a little tight for both of my 48" Hydro WB's. So, I went with a 6X14 single axle.

Another item you might want to look at is load capacity of the trailer you are looking it. My single axle trailer is 3000# GVWR with the trailer coming in at 850# leaving me a payload (I think that is the terminology) of 2250#. Well, considering each mower is around 650# that's already 1300# just in mower weight alone leaving me less than a thousand for everything else. Throw on your baggers, sulky's, gas containers, all of your two-cycle equipment, push blowers, toolboxes, etc., you get the picture. I've found out the hard way that you can max out pretty fast on your trailer. I'm already looking into getting a longer and wider double axle utility trailer.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

yep at least a 6x12 with 2 mowers put them end to end and measure to be sure but the difference in the two definately go with the 12 footer

7. greenback

from L.I.

for got to mention, enclosed trailer. the 6x12 was almost a definite. BIGGER is BETTER....:D

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

The bigger the better I bought 6x12 enclosed trailer 2 years ago becauseI wanted the advertising on the sides of it but as we all now you cannot carry mulch or topsoil or anything you may need in it. So I sold that trailer and bought a 6x12 open trailer bought some new equipment and filled that up in no time so quess what time for another trailer this spring I am going to buy the biggest one that will fit in my garage. I talked to a guy that works at the place where I am going to buy it he said I can take it home first to make sure it fits before the actual purchase.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

if i was going with an enclosed i might think bigger unless you are comitted to that size mower, unlike an open trl, there is no way to let things hang over or modify the trailer easy

10. greenback

from L.I.

definitely need a 36 (back yards), and the 48 should be sufficent enough w/ a sulkey for our commercial lawn. when i need top soil or mulch i will put it in the truck, has a dump on it.