WHICH TRANSMISSION?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Mowman, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

WHICH DO YOU SUGGEST. AN AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL TRANSMISSION? LOOKING FOR A JEEP, MOST OF THEM HAVE MANUALS. CAN IT BE DONE WITH A MANUAL, OR IS AN AUTOMATIC A MUST?
    THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE.
    Mowman

2. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Its purely a matter of choice. I have plowed with both manuals and automatics.

I will tell you that the one MAJOR thing to think about.. Is your legs, after an extended time in the jeep, clutching, your left leg and knee will be killing you.

Automatics are much less strain on the driver. Just make sure you have a heavy duty Radiator, a good flex fan with as many blades as you can get (or an electric fan ) and a trans cooler.

3. NEAL

NEAL LawnSite Member
    from WI

You can plow with both but its easier on your leg to have an automatic. I have used both and I prefer an auto.

Neal

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Auto all the way.

I have autos in all my trucks from a Ranger to an F 750. Only after the F 750 everything is stick.

Never blown an auto tranny in any of my trucks. Easier to driver, easier to use in tight quarters, just one less thing to do while plowing. As it is you got to look in your mirrors, look in front of you, angle, raise, lower, ect the plow. Why add shifting and clutching to the list.

Geoff

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How much plowing are you talking about?

Jeeps make pretty nice plow vehicle and many guys use them all night. If that's the case, an automatic is your only choice.

If you're thinking about plowing your own drive, dad & moms, your brothers and your buddies parts store, a manual might be okay.

True, Jeeps are 70% sticks, but that means 15,000 per YEAR are automatics, surely enough to find yourself one.