Which trimmer (< $200) is the best value?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MikeA57, Apr 8, 2011.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Stihl fs55, great trimmer for the money. Also check out kawasaki trimmers. STAY OUT of HD and Lowes, you will never get good service when their stuff breaks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike,
    I like the straight shaft better, too. If you still have the Poulan lying around and it is a split shaft model, you can use the straight shaft off of that. I used the one off my old Troy-bilt. Otherwise, you should get a straight shaft model. The reason I bought the one with the curved shaft, is that I already had the straight shaft attachment and th ecurved shaft models are always cheaper.

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, about the same price I paid for mine years ago! I also like the straight shaft, I don't know how anyone can use a curved, but different stroke for different folks.

4. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a srm 225 and third season this year and i love it,never no problems with it..starts right up and i can tackle bush with it too,and i also love my echo backpack too its great!both my echos i love:usflag:

5. MikeA57

MikeA57 LawnSite Member

Well, I didn't have time to do any shopping this weekend, but I'm going to have to get on it this week. I cut the back yard before I sprayed it and the weed whacking could stand to be done but it's not critical yet. But we've got rain coming through today and I'm sure that'll give it another leg up. I did check out Craigslist last night and didn't see anything that rocked my world. Lot of junk out there.

6. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

What he said!!
    I have 2 Shindaiwas,one is 15yrs old the other is about 7yrs old and not been babied. Your are going to spend the same amount of money (probably more by the time you get the others repaired) over the same time period. Buying multiple big box trimmers. You will eat that $100 difference up in a hurry the first time it goes to the shop.

7. MikeA57

MikeA57 LawnSite Member

Went out at lunch today and visited 2 dealers. One carries Echo & Husqvarna and the other carries Stihl, Shindawa, and Redmax. I looked at the Stihl KM55 R and the KM90 R. They want about $80 more for the 90 than the 55, BUT they are selling the string trimmer attachment for $30 if you buy any of the Kombi heads. So, I think that's the way I'm gonna go. That was my original plan when I bought the Echo about 3 years ago. Buy the trimmer, then get the chainsaw attachment then pick up the hedge attachment after that.

8. Primecut

Primecut LawnSite Member

For your situation, I'd definitely go with Stihl or Shindaiwa. Good luck with whatever model you decide on.

9. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're gonna get the Kombi Motor, I'd get the KM90 instead of the KM55. The KM90 is professional grade and the 55 is not. It's definitely going to last you longer than the big box stuff.

10. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member