1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which Trimmer? EchoSRM 211I or Stihl FS55

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oldsaw, Aug 26, 2006.

1. oldsaw

oldsaw LawnSite Member

Hello! Everyone
    I'm a retired small Ranchette owner and this is my first post here so be gentle :help: :laugh: I picked these two models because of dealer Support,I've done the Box store thing one too many times and won't do that again. I don't want to spend more then $250 so if any of you have other suggestions on different Echo or Stihl models in this price range it would be appreciated.
    Oh. I will be doing mostly grass trimming and a little brush,or actually some tall overgrown green weed cutting, and Yes weight is an issue for me as I have neck and shoulder problems, thats another reason I picked these two brands The lightest I could find with dealer support and both will have EZ start systems.
    That and there's no Husky dealers in my area. Nuff Said :dizzy: :laugh:

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Shihl 55 with the strait shaft and have never had any problems. I often pick it up intead of a larger trimmer because of the weight. I think you can get it with the solid shaft ( someone correct me if I'm wrong). I would get the solid shaft and they have the regular trimmer head, nylong blades, and metal blades that will fit. It should do fine for the home owner since I use mine comercially and have no problems. I'm not familiar with the echo's.
  3. oldsaw

oldsaw LawnSite Member

Thanks! tacoma200
    I'm going to check out both next week and I'll let Ya'll know which one
    I Choose! More replies Please!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think this model of Echo is their proven 2 stroke engine with a carb on it that has two jet adjustment. Can't go wrong with this unit it has been around a long time. Don't know about that easy start feature?
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i love my echo equipment, easy start great power and long, long lasting. my grandfather uses his echo's hard, at least 6 hours every week, and they are all at least 15 years old.

i have used stihl before, and never again, it gets too hot too quickly, is hard to start, and it's harder to just pull the starter cord. they smoke a bit and hesitate when entering thick stuff.

my advice, go with the echo, it's more ergonomically comfortable and will last longer.
  6. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with the Echo with the I-start.

It is a light duty commercial trimmer where the Stihl is a homeowner model by their own admission. (The Echo has a 300 hour durability engine and the Stihl has a 50 hour durability engine) You can confirm this by looking at each unit and looking for the "important engine information" sticker.

Echo's are easy starting (you might not even need the I-start), lightweight and last a long time!
  7. oldsaw

oldsaw LawnSite Member

ed2hess & mike thanks for the reply,I'm kinda leaning toward the Echo myself but not decided yet.
    ed2hess - The EZ Start on the Echo is called the I-start system and reduces
    starting effort by 75% or so they. We'll see next week!

8. oldsaw

oldsaw LawnSite Member

ThirdDay Thank Alot

I wouldn't have even thought Stihl would Make a 50hour ECP trimmer for the prices they charge. :confused:
    Do you know anything about the FS90r,I found a brand new one here
    for $250.00- from a dealer.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I have one of those engines and I hope it finishes it's 4th season.

BUT isn't the 211 the CARB version?

The easy start models are nice if you haven't checked them out. They have 2 types... the i-30 and the i-start models. The recoil pull on them is sooooo easy. You'll feel out of place funny the first time you try one.

The 210-i would be a nice little trimmer. But I can't find one without that stupid fixed line head.
  10. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If you get the ECHO you will be doing the box store thing. They are also sold at Home Depot.
    The FS 55 R is a nice unit with over 1hp and that particular echo is less than a horsepower.
    As far as the 50 hr clarification. It is a number that means nothing to me and you, just a number for the epa and echo uses it to market their products.

The FS90R trimmer is a solid drive shaft unit that has 1.2 hp and can run all of their gearbox attachments. Good unit that sells for 299 in Texas so I would say that is a good deal.
    As far as the I start compared to the ez start the I start does start easier than the ez start.
    Good luck with your decision.