1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which trimmer for brush cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swim, Jun 4, 2004.

1. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I have a shindaiwa t 270 I use for heavy trimming and brush cleanups. Its always been great. My question is a shindaiwa t270 about the same as a stihl fs250r? pros and cons of each? It will be hard to tempt me away from my t270, but in buying a new trimmer I am only get a shindaiwa t272 which weighs a pound more for pollution control and the same 1.5hp. The stihl says that it has 2.15hp and weighs 13 pounds. Anyone have experience with both? What do you think of them?
  2. travis strecker

travis strecker LawnSite Member

the stihl fs 550 clearing saw will beet that shindaiwa trimmer any day of the week
  3. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

weight is also an important part of my decision. a stihlfs550 weighs 21.6 pounds and has 3.75 hp. great power but that thing weighs more than my backpack blower. i would be through after an hour. my arms would be like jello and my back worse. what about anyone with fs250r experience?
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are only going to use it to cut down brush, get a DR field and brush mower. I have one at my country home and I use it to maintain 10 acres of fields. Granted they are expensive, but if you don't need to trim with it, get a DR. I think the smallest DR (scout) runs about $1,000. I hope this helps!
  5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I would say the Shin T270 would be closer to the Stihl FS110 power-wise. There's also the Shin T350, which would probably be more in line with the Stihl FS250. The Stihl FS550 mentioned above is an entirely different piece of equipment (56cc and 21 lbs.)