1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which trimmer is best for edge-it (yes i did search)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Feb 7, 2006.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

All I seem to find are pissing matches concerning the edge-it, stick edgers, and using a string trimmer so I am looking for insight ONLY from people who have used them. What brand of trimmer works best with the edge-it? I spoke with a rep from there and he said ECHO is the cheapest and had a good mounting system. What brand of trimmers are you guys using w/your edge-it's ?

I currently use shindaiwa and would like them and would rather not switch brands. thanks
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason the Echo mounts the best is because the edgit can mount directly ot the gearbox flange. most others have to have an adapter bracket of some sort. I think there is one for the shindawa but it isn't as sturdy as the echo set up. But as long as you use care and don't beat it on the ground it should work great on any trimmer.
    I have used the edgits on two echo trimmers with great results, but my latest is a redmax trimmer. the bracket on it is sturdy enough and I like the trimmer better. It seams to start better and have more power.
    Whichever trimmer, I will never have a trimmer without an edgit. It is one tool I just don't ever want to be without. Ask the rep to send or e-mail you the pic of the mounting system used on the shindawa. If it looks good to you and you like everything else about the shindawa then go for it. YOu wont be sorry.
    Just remember to "follow the edge" and it's best if you can teach yourself to trim with your right hand controlling where the trimmer head is and your left hand on the throttle.
  3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I purchased an edgit last summer after hearing about it on this forum. I did not have very high hopes for the contraption nor did I think that it would ever replace our walk-behind PowerTrim edger(s) for daily use. It seemed more like a novelty product and for that matter, purchase.

I was proved wrong. It edges quite well, makes quick work of BOTH trimming and edging. In fact we ended up removing a walk-behind edger from a trailer (yeah, MORE room) and exclusively used the edgit.

I have not used the edgit on anything but the Echo, and on that machine I can say, it works well. We will however use our walk-behind egders this spring to establish a deep crisp edges....then mothball em' for the duration.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

What model echo do you have the edgit mounted to?
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the Echo edging device, used it about a week and it has been in the shed since. We thought maybe we could eliminate a two pass on edging and couldn't so we use string trimmers without the guards.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have one mounted on a stihl fs 55. Just mounted it this winter and have limited use with it so far. I think it will do fine on a bed edge.

7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul J is correct. The edgit will bolt right up to the Echo. I have had one for a Shindy too, and it worked well with that at all, you just need the adaptor for about 10 bucks. But if you don't want to switch to Echo, you'll have good luck with the edgit and adaptor.
  8. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one on EBay for my Stihl Trimmer. The holes were marked and lined up perfect. I put it on in about 10 minutes. I bought from Russo Power Supply in Chicago. About 20.00 $$ cheaper than Edgit. It works really good.
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

where mine came from also, 50 bux

10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Ready to replace my edgit after five years of use (bearings are shot)because the rolling disk now wobbles quite a bit. I have the edgit attached to my ECHO Pas-260 and the combination works excellent for me, plenty of power to swing the extra line length when you are in the rough (weeds).