Which trimmer is best for me?

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by toadhall, Jun 5, 2005.

1. toadhall

toadhall LawnSite Member

I've sort of snuck in here as a homeowner (5 acres, lots of grass and fields) but I have just started using a Tanaka pole saw and love it dearly. I'm currently trimming and knocking down weeds and light brush with a ryobi 31cc trimmer. It runs like a tank, but weighs about the same as one and its killing me to look at it! I'm so impressed with Tanaka's balance and power/weight ratio that I'd strongly consider buying one of your trimmers. My question, is which one? I want the weight advantage, but what do I give up in power and cutting ability? I'm already using 0.095 line and can cut light brush up to about 1/8in. I'd appreciate any advice before I go talk to my dealer. Are demos possible? Thanks in advance.

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    I would demo the TBC-2501 (24cc) or TBC-340PF (32cc) and see which one you prefer. Both feature solid steel drive shafts, heavy-duty gear boxes, and are blade and attachment capable.

Either one will blow the Ryobi away and last you 10, 15, 20 years - you won't be giving up anything (The TBC-340PF weighs only 13.2 lbs. WITH cutting head). Send me an email or PM and I will contact our Distributor in Northboro and see what the best option is for a demo. Who is your Tanaka dealer?

Also, get curious, how did you find the Tanaka forum on lawnsite.com?

-MW

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I would consider a Tanaka as well, though My needs are a little different than his^^^.. I do daily maint, but I really am power greedy. For example, I want a trimmer that will swing a lot of .105 line, effortlessly. My previous favorite was the Shindaiwa T-270, but the new emmisions ones seem weak to me.. What do you have with "normal" handles that RIPS?! In other words.. A brushcutter in lawn trimmer clothes. (preferable that doesn't weigh a ton)

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Did I ask something wrong?

5. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

I would suggest the TBC-340PF. 32cc, 1.6 HP TWO-STROKE POWER. The field test on the TBC-340PF is coming soon.

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TBC-340PF

-MW

6. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Not at all.

-MW

7. toadhall

toadhall LawnSite Member

Mark, Thanks for your fast reply. I can't get the PM system to work for me yet, so I'm posting here. A few questions before I get to doing a demo. Why do you suggest the 2501 over the 2500? I can't see much to separate them except for the weight. Also, what about the 230? Light, but how much does the smaller engine mean in the field? I usually cut for an hour at a clip and weight and balance are really important.

8. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

The TBC-2500 is the combination between the TBC-2501's engine and the TBC-230's shaft and gear box. So, the TBC-2501 has a padded D handle and a larger gear box than the 2500.

I guess it depends on how much of the "tough stuff" you encounter during your clearing job. If it's just grass the TBC-2500 or even TBC-230 would do just fine. However, if you are hitting a combination of grass, blackberry, or other "tough stuff", I would go with the 2501 or higher.

FYI - You can always add the padded D handle or even our new S-Start (which reduces pull-force by up to 60 percent) system to the 230 or 2500.

Hope this helps. Let me know of I can help setting up a demo.

-MW

9. toadhall

toadhall LawnSite Member

Thanks Mark. I have mostly grass, heavy weeds, but they are mostly succulants. Some wild rose and blackberry. I can understand going up in power. I'd also consider the sweeper and hedge trimmer attachments. I would only use those very occasionally, so quick change isn't too important to me. I can't get the PM system to work, so could you try contacting me that way so we can set something up.

10. toadhall

toadhall LawnSite Member

Mark, it turns out that I can use the pm feature until I've been a member for 30 days. Once that happens, I'll be intouch privately because I'm very interested in following up on a demo as we've been discussing. Thanks until July!