1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which trimmer? KBL26A, husky 323L or stihl fs85.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Sep 27, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I need another trimmer and wanted opinions from the pro's. Lesco has the Kawi on sale for 249. Looks and feels really nice. I know the motor would be strong but the handle is awkward. I'm sure I'd get used to but feels funny.
    Lowe's has the Husky on a bring back. Someone didn't like it and still has the original line on. They want 200.00, which is a great price. I've been using the fs85 and really like this unit. Only thing I dislike is the price.
    Is the angle of the heads on the listed above any different than the fs85? I love it's angle & have never had problems with the head.

Which would you buy???
  2. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Get the husky.......................
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree husky. light, powerfull and such.
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running the Husky 323L for 1 1/2 yrs and absolutely love it. The reason I chose it was because it is the lightest (I have carpal tunnel problems). I also chose it because while at a trade show I stopped at the Kawi display and they had Echo, Stihl and a couple other mfgs trimmers lined up, all with tachs on the handles. They had big tubs of water for you to put the head into and watch how the rpms dropped. Naturally the kawi's rpms were higher under the water load than anyone elses. This proved that the kawi was stronger under load than the competition. Funny thing though, they didn't have a Husky trimmer there. The next booth over was Husky. I went over and asked if I could take one of there trimmers back over to the Kawi display and try it under load. I didn't need a tach to tell that the Husky was the strongest of them all. The lightest and the most powerful, Husky wins hands down. The only complaint, if you could call it that, is the fact that their fuel tank is rather small. But that cuts down on the weight so I can live with that. I'll put my Husky trimmer up against any other trimmer.
  5. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I must agree,

Get the husky, I have a fs80 and a shinny t230 and when i used mowerman90's husky I realized why he sold me his BRAND NEW t230.
  6. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna . I have two and am highly satisfied. Love the light weight and power.
  7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa T261B 325.50 or the T230 goes for 269.00.not a big fan of echo husky ect anymore.i fell in love with shindaiwa
  8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't used a Husky . . .I don't know of any local dealers. However, I own several Kawasaki engines (ztr, atv, backpack, dirtbike) and all start very easily, are powerful, and run smoothly. The same quality should be represented in their handhelds.
    More importantly, no matter what brand - Can you depend on your dealer for service and parts for which ever it is that you decide on?
  9. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I can't believe someone returned the husky. the original line isn't very good though. probably just wanted a free trim. I love mine. I have used an fs85 quite a bit and it is a dud compared to husky trimmers. overweight, ubalanced, hard to start, i didn't find the angle of the trimmerhead comfortable, and the trimmerheads suck; they fall apart. then i found husky. do yourself a favor and get one. I find it even more comfortable to reverse the drive shaft handle (personal preference).
  10. procare57

procare57 LawnSite Member

used to use nothing but huskys but like clockwork the cylinder would crap out at about two years. I agree they are the best as for as for power vs weight ratio but lasting they don't do. switched to Redmax and couldn't be happier.