Which trimmer lasts the longest with the least of probs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Aug 1, 2007.

Which trimmer lasts and has very little to repair?

1. Redmax bcz2600s

12 vote(s)
  2. Stihl fs80r

28 vote(s)
  3. Echo srm261t

12 vote(s)
  1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I was wondering what trimmer everyone thinks is the longest lasting and with the least ammount of problems during use? which would you pick?
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a Shindaiwa trimmer for about 8 years now. Just can't wear it out.Still starts on the 1st or 2nd pull everytime, after you choke it first. Never had one problem with it.
  3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Two stihl fs 80r's going on 4 & 1/2 years they fire up on 2-3 pulls still strong as ever. There great on gas too.
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The one you take care of. ;)
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

this poll is flawed with out shindawia
  7. ProCut Lawn Care

ProCut Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Shindawia s25 over 12yrs old, only replaced plug and fuel line.
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't really speak of #years ....but my Shins get around 2000 hours (bout 2 years fore me) before they really move into the "back up' pile ....(this is not too say that some clean up use, new clutches, throttle cable or trimmer head won't get them back in shape ... along with reg change/clean of plugs & filters) I've used the others on your "poll" as well ... the Stihl is ok .... I HATE that trimmer line head ...n echo ..... well we won't talk of them

I will say that I do prefer the Redmax edger over the Shin edger ....much better wheel design n the skid pad area is way more heavy duty
  9. MTR999

MTR999 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Fs 80 straight shaft, in its 4th year well over 1000+ hrs for good but it never fail! Amsoil all the way.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Longest I've ever had a trimmer last is 2,000 lawns, that's right about 3 years, most of them last me one season of day-to-day, everyday, every yard use, that's about 700 lawns or so.

In 6 years I've wasted two, one Stihl (1 year), and one Echo (3 years).
    They just crap out, both have low compression nowadays, DO keep all your old broken stuff for parts!!!
    We're talking fuel tank and cap, carburetor, muffler, coil, head and axle and shaft, handle and controls, all sorts of stuff can come in handy when something on a new one breaks, some of these parts cost $15-20 and $50-80 at the stealership.

Echo seems to be the longest lasting, I'm finding thou with Stihl the 4-mix'r is doing ok, big thing is always use premium unleaded and a quality mix oil, also the air filters like to get fuel-soaked so they need replacing often, the air filter that is.