1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by man of stihl, Jan 17, 2006.

1. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

i was at my stihl dealer today pickin up a few items they serviced for me, and while i was there i was lookin at some new stuff. i really liked the backpack blowers but are a little pricey to me. i have 2 bg85s now and they are great. i may just buy another one of those and save a little money:cool: my question is which trimmer.. i have the fs80's now. he had them listed for 280 and at the open house they will be 15 percent off. they also had the fs100rx and the 110rx for 350 and 350. this looked nice to me. any comments on these trimmers would be great. i dont really know alot about the 4-mix engine:confused: but i like stihl alot so that is the brand im lookin at.. thanx guys
  2. ialawnmowerman

ialawnmowerman LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

i like the new 100. quieter, a little lighter and more power imo and from my understanding the 100 is like the 80s and the 110 is the 85s, the price is good on the 80s though, the only thing to think about which i was told wrong at first and it was in the shop within a week (they replaced it for telling me wrong) is that the 100 takes 50:1 mix and the 80 takes 35:1 so if you can get another 80 maybe you want to go that way. either way you cant go wrong imo
  3. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I went up from the FS 80 to the 130. Probaby should have went to the 110 as the 130 has SUPER power. I put a brush saw on it and it will cut down small trees.
  4. man of stihl

i run the amsoil 100-1 professional mix. i usually end up running it about about 80-1 just to be safe. i have run it for 2 years now in all two strokes. i does great on plugs and no build up. wut mix do i have to run in the 100?:confused:
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

All stihl trimmer require 50:1 as far as I know. I havent heard of anyone using a leaner mixture in the new 4 mix engines, not saying they dont use it though.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

hope you guys have better luck with sthil than i have had . this year i had to replace every carb on all my units and 2 magnetos in 2 days! no more sthil for me. on the other hand the 400 series of backpacks i have have run perfect for 8 years.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

For what it's worth, I've been using Opti-2 in everything I have (including the C4 Shindaiwa). All I've used for over four years.

Ever since RedMax and Shindaiwa started with these new CARB emission engines (whatever you call it), I've yet to find a worthwhile trimmer.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ive got the FS85R now, i really wish they stihl made it. If i had to get a new one now, it would be the FS110R.
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have got about 15 stihl 4-mixes, and that is all I will buy from now on. I think the lower rpm engine will last longer and that is all I care about.
  10. man of stihl

so wut is the main differences between the 100 and the 110? i think im gonna go with that new 4mix engine.. and is it really a 4stroke engine? i know it has valves and all but it uses 2 stroke mix:confused: .. thanx