Which trimmer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnut101, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm deciding if I should get a new trimmer or not. I've been looking around for some time and am wondering about a few. I'm thinkin about an Echo SRM-210 or 210sb, a Husqvarna 125, or a redmax of some sort. I only need it for light trimming as I only have a few jobs, and I have some more powerful yet not commercial trimmers. One is a briggs and stratton and the other is a weed eater bc2500le. I want a nice, light, commercial trimmer, yet I don't want to spend more than about 250 and preferably less.

1. If I go with the Echo, should I get the split-boom model or the regular? Are they durable? What are the pros and cons? Are they worth 200$?

2. Anyone know if the Husky 125bl is a commercial unit? It is on sale for $170. Is this a good price? How long does it last?

3. How is Redmax? I have one of their blowers, but have heard both positive and negative about their trimmers. Any good models?

Thanks guys. ANY advice of any kind would help. Even if it is about a different brand.

2. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

well if you dont have but a few yards to do I would definately recommend a split boom....If you can find one at $200 that is great, my Shindaiwa was a lil more expensive but I love it.

They are decent, the only bad side to it, is that if you dont get in the habit of putting the lil cover over the extension you arent using you risk getting sand and grit in between them and that isnt necessarily a good thing..

I dont particularly care for Echo....Shindaiwa, Redmax (a lil heavier I think), and Stihl are good buys in my opinion.

3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody is gonna reply, As you should use the search feature.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can't go wrong with the Echo but that unit would be homeowner grade level. The 260T level is a good commericial grade and the split boom does just fine. The one with articulating head is very good but kinda heavy and is likely well beyond the $200.

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What is only a few jobs? I will be honest with you about the 210. We had one last season and it was dead by the end of the season. It was not the only trimmer that we used either, so it was not the only trimmer taking abuse every day. The 210 really is more of a homeowner model. Keep in mind that for every 4 or 5 weekly accounts that you do that will equal to about one month of doing one lawn (If all lawns are relatively equal in the amount of trimming). If you only have 10 lawns a week that equals to about 2 months of wear and tear in one week. Multiple that by the length of your season. Let's just use 25 as a round number. That would be the equivalent to 50 months of wear and tear, or a little over 4 years.

If you are going to go with an Echo I would at least go with the 230. That is JMO.

6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I agree. The SRM 210 is not commercial. I do have one, it's a 2100 (same thing, just older) and it has seen light comm. use over the last 5 years, and is still ok as a back-up. But only as a back up, and I would bet that the newer ones are made cheaper. Pass on the 210. Right now I am liking the Stihl KM 110 multi tool. $$$ but well worth it. If I only had $250 to spend, though, I would defenitely go with a Red Max, I saw a comm. unit for like $259. I was an updated model of one that served me well for the last 3 years, but was at least 5 years old. Finally died a few months ago, but was a hell of a trimmer. I think it was a BCZ2600 or something like that, might be wrong about the #.

7. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

For your applications the Echos that you've listed would do great. The Echos are powerful and light weight. But I would stop by your Stihl dealer (if you have one) to check out the Fs-55 I think it would work out for you.

8. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

eather the FS-55 as mentioned or the FS-100 RX

9. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I have been using the Echo sm210 for 2 years now, with no probs at all... We maintain about 90 properties weekly. It is my main trimmer, only prob is slow starts at about 40 degrees! brrrrr

10. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Echo makes a 2600 series that is heavy enough for your needs. I cut 30 - 40 a week with the 2 I have. It should last a few seasons at least. $289 though.