Which trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okie2, Oct 8, 2007.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

What is the most economical choice for line trimmers? I am just starting out and was looking around and found the "cheap" Pro Stihls start at $240. What other brands would be as good and start at a lower price?
  2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

stils here are the best hands down. you will learn to get the best trimmer you can afford / in the past i learned the hard way , by buying the cheap one 'JUST FOR NOW ' .then you find out after spending a lot of $$$ on repairs and other things you should of just bought the best one @ first...
  3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Tanaka 230! Best bang for the buck. Enough power/VERY light weight. 10.2 lbs. WITH the head and guard.
  4. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasawki is what i use now, light and powerful
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

For a good commercial trimmer that will last for years without any problems your going to need $300+ for a good quality steel shaft trimmer. It really doesn't matter what brand you get as long as you stick with the quality brand names in the commercial market. Echo, Stihl, Tanaka, Redmax, Shindy, Kaw, there all good trimmers and make lots of good equipment. Spend the money on quality and remember "you get what you pay for" Buy cheap and you will be the one either in the repair shop or standing at your customers residence trying to get your trimmer to start. Under $300 is homeowner, over is commercial
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes they do, I just upgraded my old Toro proline trimmers which still start and run good but are getting long in the tooth with new Tanaka's and they start easy and have plenty of power. I bought the 245s w/steel shaft for $320 at www.alamia.com
  7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

So very true, I just bought a Stihl FS90 the list is $299.95 w/tax it came to $320.95 so your not going to find anything Commercial for "cheap". You are going to have to increase your budget a little.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I paid $200 for my Tanaka 230. A real deal. Look on ebay, you may find one fairly cheap.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

for cheap trimmer-i like husky. light weight too
  10. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

It's never good to generalize. I paid $277.13 for my Kawasaki KGT-27A. I'm pretty sure it is considered to be one of the best by many lawncare professionals.