1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lilweeds, Aug 5, 2008.

1. lilweeds

lilweeds LawnSite Senior Member

I know, opinion are like, well you know, but I'm in between two brands Tanaka and Robin/Dolmar. Let's here the opinions from real users of these brand trimmers. Also What Tanaka model is best suited from general commercial use.
  2. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl :)

Don't you have a similar thread going on?
  3. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

I bought a Tanaka hedge clipper and liked it so much I went for their line trimmer. I'm pleased with both units, no problems out of either. The trimmer is an older 300 model, I think the closest match to it now is a 280. If you don't have any bush wackin' to do the smaller 230 model is around 10 lbs and has the solid drive shaft.
  4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

5. lilweeds

lilweeds LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl bg 85.... It's the worst piece of equipment I have. I have a yard boss, it's marginal at best I should have bought a Mantis. Currently I have 2 Honda trimmers they are only good for about a year, then they run like crap. I have read numerous complaints about the Stihl 4mix stuff, so I want to go in a different direction.
  6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

shindawa all the way
  7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have had 5 Tanaka going on 3 years now all TBC2501 and they are good I have only been through a couple throttle cables thanks to Trimmertrap rack but they have been good to me and the heads are the best that I have came across as they never jam but you will wear a few spools out as the bump button is pretty thin. I have to replace a throttle cable tommorow now that I saw this thread.
  8. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Since you didn't mention other brands, I would say Robin.
    Otherwise I would have said Shindaiwa. I'd say Robin is pretty much on par with Shindaiwa, though.
  9. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I've never used either myself; I have a friend who bought a Tanaka brushcutter over 25 years ago for personal use and its' still running strong with absolutely no maintenance other than spark plug changes.

If you have a Kawasaki dealer near by take a look at them; I've been running them for about 4 years with very good results. I have looked at the Shindiawa trimmers and they look pretty good....