1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which trimmer ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blk90s13, May 28, 2012.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

I need a second trimmer my redmax served me for years and is finally starting to show some wear

Dont know where to start looking I was thinking a 21cc Tanaka something as a backup dont need something too fancy as long as its strong and fast

How is the Home depot Echo line ? anyone use them ? I cant stand a slow or under powered trimmer I do a lot of over grown areas so the trimmer have to be strong.

Thanks for your help.
  2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't go wrong with a stihl fs130 that's pretty much all we run now started getting away from the echos a couple years ago,,, kinda underpowered imo
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running a 21cc Hitachi trimmer (same as 21 cc Tanaka except color), I really like it for weekly trimming. I've even cut some fairly big stuff by running at WOT. However, it's my opinion that you definitely give up some power for the lighter weight. By you saying you hate under powered trimmers, I recommend you stay away from the 21cc trimmers.

I a;so have several Echo SRM230's. They certainly have a fair amout more power than the 21cc.
  4. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

That HD Echo won't last long,after my 2nd one wore out in record time I got 2 redmaxes from the dealer,the redmaxes are built to last.Same thing goes for the HD Echo backpack; underpowered and cheaply built.You think you're saving money but you're really wasting it, you really do get what you pay for .
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

I will make sure to stay away from Echo, I heard redmax is no longer as good as they used to be ??

I am trying to hunt a used one but no luck yet.
  6. CRE1992

CRE1992 LawnSite Member

I have a stihl FS250R. I have to say its got the most power of any hand held loop handle trimmer I've ever used. 2.2hp! However that does not come without $$. My friend runs FS110s and FS130 and has no problem with them, light weight and great power.
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with Echo just don't buy the HD model. Which incidentally is not even available at Echo dealers. An SRM230 is a great trimmer. I have 4 and they are our first grab machines.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Husky 323.
  9. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

I bought a FS250 about 10 years ago. Amazing power. Get the handle bars. Much less fatigue and better able to sweep back and forth through waist-high grass. I use mine without the guard. Much faster and easier getting around objects. Today I bought a FS130. It's a pain to use with the guard, corner of guard digs in slowing me down. It's coming off tomorrow. Also, with the guard on, you can't let out more than a few inches of line.
  10. Green_Will

Green_Will LawnSite Member

Just an FYI here... I read something a while ago that ECHO builds their Home Depot machines to Home Depot specs. They use cheaper parts and are not the same ECHO machine you would find at a dealer. I use Stihl equipment, but if you like ECHO stuff, maybe try a dealer instead.