Which Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hagerg, Dec 28, 2004.

1. hagerg

hagerg LawnSite Member

My wife got me a new trimmer for Christmas (Stihl FS110RX) I've read a couple of posts where folks have had some problems with this trimmer. Should I consider trading for FS80 or FS85? We don't have a Redmax dealer in my area so I'm gonna stick to Stihl brand. Any thought/suggestions about which model I should consider? I may want to add pole saw at some point. Thanks for all input. gh :)

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Keep the 110. A few problems early on by a few people. Most of us have had good results with ours. I have 4 85's and 1 110. The 110 is a power beast. Not one problem with it all year.

But if you were to trade...do not get the 80.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

No, do not trade the 110. They are great trimmers. We bought one back in the summer and it has got a beating the last half of the mowing season and it has held up great. The new 4 mix engines are the most powerful engines available IMO and you'll be very happy with it. We will probibly buy another one next year to replace a 85. BTW Stihl doesn't make the FS 85 anymore. There line-up now goes from a FS-80 to an FS-110.

4. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

Keep the 4-mix! I have 3 of them-2 trimmers and an edger- and not a hiccup from a
    any of them yet. Love "em!!!

Scooter

5. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I've got two FS85's, best trimmers out there!! Plan to upgrade to the 110 this spring. Tip- always use stihl 2 cycle oil and mix with 93 octane.

6. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

I know a guy that runs 93 octane in his trimmers do they run good? Will it tear it up.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

no 93 octane will not tear it up.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I got a Stihl FS110 for christmas too. I'm keeping it.

9. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

what is the price of each??

10. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

I have an FS 110, and love it. No problems at all. I paid 310.00 for mine.