1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which truck mount leaf loader shreads the best ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TriCountyLawn, Sep 20, 2006.

1. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in the market for a leaf loader but want to get some ideas as to what model has the highest reduction ratio. Leaf clean-up is bad enough and im thinking of what ways I can cut down on the amount of dumping.
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i've used a Billy Goat and i own a Salsco. they both work about the same. the Billy Goat has a few nicer feachers like an easy removable hose and some safety switches that shut the unit down when the hose isn/t connected. The Billy Goat is also $900.00-$1000.00 more for the 16 hp model.
  3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I Think It's About 8 To 1 For Reduction Not Sure Just What I've Been Told. I Like My Goat It's A 16 Hp. With A Goat It Still Takes Time To Load Use A Picth Fork To Feed Tube And You Will Have To Get All The Sticks Out Of Pile Anything Bigger Than About 10'' Long And 1/8'' Around Before You Suck Up The Pile. I Have Mine On The Trailer Blowing Into My Truck With A Dump Insert. That I Built A Box For You Will Have To Make The Inside Of The Box Clean No Studs Showing. The Leaves Will Come Out In One Big Brick :p
  4. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

I've used two Little Giants - 16 HP on a swing mount and last year found an older 30 HP trailer unit. Both chopped very well. We do just curbside pickup, so sometimes there are a lot of sticks in the pile. The 16 horse plugged up occasionally. The 30 horse never. Probably because the intake hose is larger (can't remember the sizes). The big dog was faster, too, but a pain to back into tight spots.
    I'd say to buy the most horsepower you can afford, from a dealer you trust, and a name brand that has good parts availability in your area. Some of the companies have no-interest financing this time of year.
    Good luck. Keep the cats and poodles away from the snout. GB
  5. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

OK, now that the coffee has started to work, I remember that my machines are both Giant Vac, not Little Giant.
    If bulk is a problem, you might consider running the leaves through your mower and dumping the bags by the truck. More time in collection, but fewer dump trips.
    One other tip is to use as much ventilation on the leaf box as you can. Once the leaves go through the blades, you want the air to escape instead of building up pressure. (Guys have blown boxes apart!) We use a mesh tarp over the top of the box, full length. Works great. GB