Which truck should I buy??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I need a new truck for pulling the mowers. I am trying to choose between the gas and diesel trucks. Which one would you choose? What are the pros and cons? My choices are, in the diesel area, are the Dodge Turbo Cummins and the Chevy 6.5 Turbo diesel. Then in the gas area are the Dodge Magnum V8, Ford 351, and the Chevy 350. What are your favorites and why? Is it also true that diesels last longer than gas engines?
  2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I have a 96' Ford F250 PSD and love it. But if I could afford it right now I would purchase a new Chevy 3500 HD Crew Cab with the Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. Wouldn't even have to go and test drive it.

By the way the diesel does last longer and gets much better mileage. The gas would get you less than 10 mpg pulling a trailer. Of course, you have to pay about $4k extra for the diesel.

[Edited by Cleve on 04-13-2001 at 08:36 PM]
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not a Ford diesal?
  4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I got an f350 93 model crew cad dually last september. I got it with 230,000 on it. 5 speed with 410 rear end..pulls like a mule and I get 14 to 15 in town and 18 on the interstate and that is with or with out load...this is my first diesle and I am sold..I do not think I will ever get another gas burner for pulling my eguip..I believe diesle is the way to go
  5. Los

Los LawnSite Member

If you are looking for a diesel go powerstroke all the way the chevy 6.5L F***ing sucks I just picked up a 95 Ford F250 XLT 4x4 Supercab Powerstroke w/48,000 miles for $17,000.00 so there are great deals out there just have to look but if you go new then I would say Ford cause i love them but the new duramax Chevy is out of control great powerplant in that thing but bring your wallet for that one... and about your question does diesel last longer than gas withoput a doubt go diesel you need the extra torque baby oh yeah....

[Edited by Los on 04-14-2001 at 12:12 AM]
  6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

LOS I have one that will make you sick...friend of mine just got a 96 250 xlt with 64K but it is a 2 wheel drive not 4x4...9800..auto/ac/power stroke/tilt steering/lumbar seats/electric everything including the side mirrors and whatever bells and wistles those things can come with..he got lucky..i believe i got a good deal to..and yes his is extended cab as well..i love dem fords:D
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

powerstroke or Duramax. dave g
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

For the reasons listed above, much better fuel economy, more pulling power, better warranty, much better resale, and it just sounds good! :D I have a 99 powerstroke and it's great, the Chevy looks good but WAY to much for a truck ($43,000 for extended cab with Duramax).
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Deeeeeezzzzzzzzzeeeeeellllllllllll something, better for what your doing.
  10. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We just got our 2001 F-350 V10 back from the bodyshop. We got a 12' Omaha standard platform body with a hoist on it. The thing is an absolute beast! I love it....i'll get a picture of it to show you guys soon.