1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which Truck Would You Buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Jan 14, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have $3000 budgeted for a truck and have found the following two vehicles. If you were me which truck would you buy? My trailer will have a gross weight of 1800 pounds. I am looking to get two years use out of the truck.

1993 f150 XLT
    • 4.6 L V6 Engine
    • Automatic transmission
    • Excellent condition inside and out
    • 173,000 miles
    • 8 ft bed
    • Bedliner
    • Tonneau cover
    2001 Ford Ranger
    • 3.0 L V6 engine
    • Excellent condition inside and out
    • 123,000 miles
    • 6 ft bed
    • Bedliner
    • Bed cap
  2. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

go with the bigger truck it will help alot with towing and the bigger bed helps alot too.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what do you plan on doing with the truck? that will determine which is the better truck for you.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Either truck will pull 1,800 pounds. 1,800 pounds is not a whole lot to tow really. I was doing that with a 4-cyl for over a year. You will probably like having the larger truck and the extra 2 feet in the bed. I know I would.

I guess looking at getting 2 years out of it...what about potential repairs...that something you can deal with? The F-150 is already 14 years old vs. 6 for the Ranger. Something to consider.
  6. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

yea i would go with the newer...although the older fords are pretty reliable..plus i would sell the cap...get a couple of bucks from that

im looking to get a small truck this year as well..i dont need a big gas guzzling truck for just cutting grass and doing smaller mulch installations
  7. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I don't have a preference for name brands (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GMC, etc.). My crew uses a 4 cyl. Ford Ranger and I use a 5.9L Dodge Ram. I will tell you that when I bought the Ranger, I did a lot of research into what would best suit our needs. That Ford 6 cyl. sucks as much gas as an 8 cyl. Therefore, if you were leaning toward the 6 cyl. to save gas, go with a Chevy or GMC. Otherwise, you might as well get an 8 cyl. Ford.
  8. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

in 93' your engine options for F-150 were as follows:
    4.9 300ci. I6
    5.0 302ci. V8 I would guess the truck your looking at has
    5.8 351ci. V8 the 300 6cyl and is plenty Stout enough
    as long as the truck has 3.55 gears or lower.
    (the 4.6 L Ford made is a V8 and entered
    the truck line-up in the 1997 model year)
    as for the 01' Ranger...
    only if you found one with a 4.0 V6, as
    the 3.0 V6 is gutless
  9. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

Definately go with the bigger truck. V6 =/= less gas money all the time. My V6 Toyota gets worse gas mileage than a V8 fullsize. Only reason I drive it is because it was free.

The bigger truck will have mower power, more room, and in the bed more than just 2 feet extra bed space; it's also wider which can play a very big role.

Get the big truck.
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Bigger is better if you will be doing more than just mowing but if your just going to be mowing I would get the ranger.