which truck?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mowerman07, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mowerman07

mowerman07 LawnSite Member

What do you guys think is the best truck to start out with? I've looked at a few, and they all seem to have good qualities.:confused:

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

need more info. what are you going to be hauling? are you going to plow? do you want to pull a trailer or have a landscape body? do you need a dump? flat bed? need some specs on your business goals and current operations to really help.there is a nice 2500HD 4x4 on the used equipment forum

3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

ford f150 4x4 with towing package.good for just about any start.8 cyl. gets 15 mpg and good resale if you want to upgrade later.

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

5. mowerman07

Well, i want to be able to plow eventually. Right now, i think i will need a trailer to haul the usual landscaping equipment. I was looking into trucks with dump beds, but i think i will just get a pickup to get started.

6. dura to the max

from georgia

sounds like you need a 3/4 ton 4x4 if you want to plow

7. Integrity LC

Integrity LC LawnSite Member

Just getting started I would get a used 1/2 ton 4x4. You can use that to pull the trailer and lightly plow. I used a 1/2 ton for 2 seasons with 27 resi's and had no problems. Not saying you won't have problems but just saying from experience. The 1/2 ton wasn't the best to plow with but it worked.

8. mowerman07

Any thoughts on pickup vs. dump truck?

9. dura to the max

from georgia

ive been in business 7 years and havent used a dump truck yet. it would be nice many times, but i've gotten along fine. starting out i would say no, wait a few years and see what direction your business goes, if you need one in 2 years great, if in 2 years you are no longer in business you have a p/u, and the p/o is easier to sell. not saying you wont succeed, but i think a dump trusk is premature at this point.