1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which Truck??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Aura Lawns, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

40k on a work truck? Wow.

I'd look for a 10 year old truck. You can find great deals right now on trucks with the plows included.
  3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

How many other trucks in the fleet and what will be this trucks role?

I'm not big on loaded work trucks, maybe when I'm older. I'm happy just to have power Windows and mirrors.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I'd go with the Duramax. It's the best bang for the buck. I'd never buy a work truck with fabric seats, either leather or vinyl. I'd prefer not to have carpet though either, but since it's a personal truck as well you'll want all the bells & whistles. Since the Duramax doesn't have the 2011+ frame with 6k front axle, you'll need to beef it up a little to hold up to long term plow duty.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto and Ditto.....

Trucks are a horrible investment for what they do. I always feel better off buying a 15k truck, putting 2k into it, and then beating it to death rather than buying a 35k truck that will get beat to death.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Take the extra 10k saved and put into retirement, your kid's college education, emergency fund, etc....

7. jakes mowing

jakes mowing LawnSite Senior Member

Aren't you like 13? And like two weekly accounts? I dont mean to bash you by any means, but if I was you i would focus on getting good equipment now so when you really need a truck you will have everything else already. Also, only get a diesel if you really need it, any more gas seems to be the way to go unless your pulling a lot every day. With diesel your gonna be paying a lot more at the pump per gallon and if that Diesel engine isn't making up for it with good/ reasonable mpg's then your wasting a lot of money with a diesel when you could have gotten by with a gas. Also you have to pay for DEF, higher repair bills etc. but also they will last longer then a gasser but unless you plan on keeping a truck for 350,000+ its just not worth it IMO.
  8. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I second this. No disrespect, but can you even drive yet? If this is completely off-base with your situation, then I am sorry. I have been shopping for a truck for 3 months. There are a ton on great craigslist ads that are decent trucks for less than half of what you are looking at now. 3/4 tons included.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I'd assume his dad is probably buying it for him. Like Schrock.
  10. jakes mowing

jakes mowing LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that would make sense since they're like 40k trucks lol. I'll actually be 16 in May, just bought my first truck with my own money and am super happy with it.its an 03" ram 2500 hemi 4x4 with only 83,000 on it for less than half of those trucks