Which type...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ever Green, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Ever Green

Ever Green LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of getting a new skidsteer...either a 257B or T190. I've got my price from the Bobcat dealer. Still waiting to hear back for Cat. Is one better than the other? Is buying equipment like buying a car? Do they have room to move? or is the price the price? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

2. blkbimm3r

blkbimm3r LawnSite Member

It all depends on the application, if you need to move just light things then you won't need the additional HP, but if you think there maybe other times where you will be doing heaving lifting, lots of digging, or lots of use, then you should probably go with the better equipped model. I have used a Bobcat 870 (87hp) and the company sold it because it was very expensive to maintain, but there was hardly anything it couldnt move, i have some pictures of it pulling a 20ft tree out of the ground with root ball,

But then we sold it and since then we have rented from Sunbelt and I REALLY feel the need for more power working doing things like reconstructing yards and digging.

So, like I said, it all depends on the application!

3. Ever Green

Ever Green LawnSite Member

Busting up sidewalks, hauling mulch/river rocks, some logging--tops for firewood...all while tyring not to desroy too many lawns...some lawn installations...new and old. I have a NH 1630 but feel I could do more with a skidsteer. I'm trying to stay away from too heavy of a machine. ???