1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which used zero-turn to purchase???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cuts, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Just getting back into the business after a 4 year break. Long story short.... CAN'T afford a new zero turn right now, so I was found two used ones for sale... 52" Scag w/23 horse engine - 1300 hrs. VERY WELL maintained. Show room condition. VERSUS. 52" Snapper w/21 horse - 550 hrs. NOT very well maintained and beat up. PLUS... remainder of warranty till this June. Seems like a no brainer... but I've used Scag in the past and know the machines very well.... gut says buy the scag with the higher hours. Asking price is $3700.00 for either or....Any advice?

2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

why not buy new and get 6 months no payments and 0% financing? then begin payments in the spring
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

based upon your discussion, I say skag.

GEO :)
  4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

why not new??? 3 words.... Cause I'm cheap! :p
  5. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

just remember, you get what you pay for! good luck
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i would go for the scag, sounds like a better deal in the long run. typically, hours on a unit dont mean much (as well as miles on a car). if it had been maintained well, like it sounds, then it should serve you fine forever.

good luck getting back into the biz.
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would definately get the scag because if it has been well maintained like you say and is in showroom condition then it is a better deal than the snapper and it should last you a long time.
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Many times a used mower will not be as cheap as you think. I bought a used mower once...and that that was the last time I ever will. The mower appeared to be in top shape and ran very well. Had 1200 hours on the clock so I figured it would last at least another 1200. Not so.

I won't go into all he problems I had with the mower, but I will say that the mower wound costing me more in down time, repairs, parts, lost customers...than I care to admit. I would have saved more than the cost of that mower had I bought a new one to begin with. Plus I would have been able to make more money with the new and much more efficient unit that I wound up buying 6 months later. It pays to be frugal, but trying to get by cheap can cost a lot of money.

Take some sage advice from one who has learned the hard way...BUY NEW!!
  9. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Husqvarna mower with 18hp kaw z mower. Only had it for 6 months in good condition with 125 hours on it will let it go for $4500 still have 2 1/2 years warranty on it. Price was $6500 Let me know if you want it.
  10. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I would buy the Scag also in this situation.