Which v-twin gas engine is the most popular in your area?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MONTE, Aug 23, 2002.

1. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I was just currious as to wich is popular in your area? Around here it was all kohler but kawasaki has taken over. Also what about honda, b&s, robin and generac.

2. Kohler then Kaw, but then again we are home to the national distributor Merdart Engine for Kohler, and Diamond for B&S.

B&S are made in Poplar Bluff MO.

Same with Gates hoses and belts.

I have a bunch of Kohlers, 1 Kaw, a few B&S (not on any commercial stuff) a few Hondas on the non mower stuff, and now a Robin on my PG.

3. GRASS PRO

GRASS PRO LawnSite Member

I would say it is pretty even here between kohler and kawasaki. A few years ago the vanguard engine was popular on all the walks but know they are all kawasaki. I have one robin and just love it and one kohler that I really do not have any real complaints. I have heard talk on here about generac and honda but have never seen any around here.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

The most popular V-Twin gas engine around here is....

...Harley-Davidson! :D

5. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

I live in john deere country so I quess I would say it's kawasaki.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I don't know. Probably B&S because all the guys 'round here don't have commercial stuff. Maybe some Kohler, some of them have JD riders. I'm going to be sporting a Kawi when I get my new Exmark :D

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i really would not turn around for any difference between kohler and kaws.
    i understand the command i have now and really respect the motor quality.
    i use to own a kaw on a wb that except for hard startingin cold weather,was
    flawless . when i sold it ,the oil as clear as new after 2 wks running.it was a recoil so thats why the hard cold starting was an issue. but it never failed to give good service.
    as far as that goes ,ive never worn out a briggs engine that i bought new.
    usually lasted thru a couple of mower rebuilds. clean air ,clean fuel ,clean oil.
    dont ask a motor to do what its not made to do . at least on a continuous
    basis.
    edit . to answer your question . briggs is the most common. but kaw an kohler the most commonly used commercial engines.

8. BladeRunner Rep

BladeRunner Rep Banned

As a manufacture we have seen an increase in orders for kawasaki power. We still get orders for kohler and generac. As to which is the best, I personally think that it is a preference thing. Just like water cooled vs. air cooled.

9. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I have never seen a generac engine on a mower of any kind, do they have a link?

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

yorkpaddy, If you go to the Dixie Chooper web site you will find that Dixie is useing their engines. I was told they have exclusive rights with Generac. As far as v-twins go, Kohler is most popular on commericial stuff. Briggs on the homeowner stuff. :) ;) :) ED