Which valve should I use?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ZX12R, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

OK,I have a Toro Custom Command Controller that was given to me for a great price.....read FREE. I will now need to buy valves. This is for my own home,so,I am looking for a quality valve.What model would most of you reccommend?

One of the guys at my supplier said that he likes Irrotol.He also said that they are all the same,but,I have a hard time believing that. Then again,he sells all brands,so,I want to see what most of you say here.

Thanks in advance!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Irritrol 2400 valves will still be repairable when your great-grandchildren are playing in your backyard.

3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I install mainly Rainbird products. The valves at my house are Irritrol 2400s....

4. ZX12R

Those were quick replies,thanks Wet and Bob! When I purchase the valves,what is the best configuration? The irrigation guy at my neighbors house has valves with female threads at both ends. Which type ends would you reccommend? I would like to be prepared should I have to repair or replace a valve in the future.

I will be making a manifold and will post pics for your entertainment.:)

5. bobw

I always use female threaded valves and use a close nipple into gasketed fittings for the manifold. On the output side of the valve, I use a Turnseal fitting. This allows me to easily take a valve body out if need be.

6. ZX12R

Bob,when you say Turnseal,are you talking about an expandable compression fitting such as those used to repair PVC? I ask because I have never heard of Turnseal.

7. bobw

http://www.hrctool.com/plastics/turnseal.htm

A turnseal fitting connects to poly pipe and can be tightened/loosened by hand. Very handy for working in tight quarters.

I'm assuming (quite likely, incorrectly) that you are using poly pipe instead of PVC. I'm not sure what is used in your neck of the woods, but the general sort of pattern that I've noticed is manifold people are generally poly people...

8. ZX12R

Bob,the manifold will be PVC while all other lines are poly.

9. ZX12R

OK,I will get the 2400's based on your advice. Should I get valves with or without flow control. What exactly does flow control do?

10. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to put he weathermatic T3's in my yard.

Irritrol 2400's are great heads.